cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent dropping connection and slow speeds

lhmcr01
Grafter

Frequent dropping connection and slow speeds

In the past few weeks my broadband has been dropping connection and has slowed down to below 1.5mbps.

Can someone please check my line.

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Frequent dropping connection and slow speeds

This thread here - https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Broadband-has-slowed-right-down/m-p/1425867/jump-to/first-un... - did not appear to reach any conclusions, so it might be best to go back to the fundamentals... EO line possibly on 20CN there could be a few things which need looking at.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having connection and speed issues.

Checking the connection from this side and looking at the graph below we did see 2 drops outs on the 26th/27th with the connection being lost for almost 24 hours however since then we haven't seen any signs of connection issues.

image1511962517504
In relation to this graph are you experiencing more drops outs than shown above?
I ask this as looking through your previous thread and fault a few months back I can't see if anyone has asked the key question of when you notice the speed drop to next to nothing is this on a wireless or wired connection? As this would explain when another person comes onto your network the speeds reduce and also why when ever we've tested your connection we see at least 5Mbps+.
Currently your connection is showing 7.6Mbps download and 0.44Mbps upload getting to the router with no real sign of what could be causing the intermittent issues you've described.

The 24hour-ish drop out does raise a few concerns however and I need to ask did you turn the router off over this period at all? 
It may be that the drop out could be due to work being carried out somewhere and would explain why everything is looking spot on when testing, how are things looking your side these last 48 hours?

Kind regards,
Ben

lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi,
I did turn off the router for 24 hours to reset it.
I have been having frequent disconnections and speeds below 2mbps on a wired connection.
I am unable to carry out any further tests as I am working away for just over a week, as soon as I get back I will perform the above line tests and post back.
Thanks.
lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi, I have performed a quiet line test and have no noise issues. The distance from the exchange is 2.37km direct and 2.7km by road.
I am currently using a Netgear 45 router, this is not listed on Kitz.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Testing your line aren't showing any issues still, as to why you're only getting 2mbps.

Would it be possible to try a different router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lhmcr01
Grafter

Hi there,

I have moved house but I am still having the same problems with slow broadband speed.

I have checked my profile and it is still showing my old address, don’t know if that makes any difference????Huh

I have a new style socket in the new address, I have also carried out a quiet line check, there were no issues.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

I've made a change to the settings on your account which should resolve this.

Can you reboot your router and let us know how you get on?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet