cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnects

Gillrich1
Dabbler

Frequent disconnects

I'm getting frequent disconnects on my line throughout the day to the point where my broadband's pretty much unusable for anything except occasional browsing, if that. Could someone look into this, and please don't tell me to phone someone as I'm profoundly deaf, hence using the forums. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Frequent disconnects

Hey @Gillrich1,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I have done some testing on your broadband & phone line this morning, it appears there may be an issue with your phone line that is causing the drops in connection you can see here.

The next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket (which is under the faceplate of your master socket) and seeing if the drops stop.

This rules out your internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause of these drops.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

Thanks.

Gillrich1
Dabbler

Is this even a proper master socket?Is this even a proper master socket?I can't imagine there's any electronics in here that could cause issues?!I can't imagine there's any electronics in here that could cause issues?!Right well, I've done what you suggested. I really don't see how plugging the router directly into the socket behind the "master socket" helps as the two seem to be connected by basically two sockets on a strip of plastic with nothing between them. 

Anyway, the disconnects have stopped for now, whether that's related to the master socket or not, I don't know. However, speeds are now embarrassingly slow and have been since just before 12pm today at least. I have no idea what's causing this, do you have any data at your end to explain why?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Gillrich1 sorry to hear you're experiencing connection drops.

Regarding the speeds, it looks like the connection may have become banded by DLM (Dynamic Line Management), which is likely a result of the drops that you've been experiencing and could also be the reason it's not dropping out as much at the moment, however that's not to say that an underlying issue has been fixed.

If you've also already been through the steps advised in our Troubleshooting Guide and you're continuing to experience issues, please can you report the issue over at https://faults.plus.net

If you could let us know once you've done this, we'll be able to pick up the fault report ticket and ensure that's progressing for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Gillrich1
Dabbler

I've attempted to contact BT directly regarding the shoddy state of the infrastructure in my building and was told I'd have to go through you guys, I don't know if that's normal procedure or if they're just passing the buck?

I'm concerned about the fact the "master socket" appears to simply be a faceplate screwed on top of what was already there.

Additionally, the wiring to the master socket looks something of a mess.

ratsnest.jpg

The black cable is the buried cable from outside, a loop of which appears to have been pulled though that hole into the house. The grey line is the one leading to the "master socket", the dirty white is an extension that's been disconnected ie physically cut at both ends. The gray line appears to have simply been spliced off the black cable and wrapped up with electrical tape. Is this normal? Is this picture something you can pass onto BT and get something done perhaps if there's any possibility it could be causing the intermittent problems?

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @'Gillrich1,

If I am honest there is a possibility that somewhere in that bundle is the cause of your issue, however the responsibility of the network lies with Openreach up until the test socket. Therefore you would not be charged should an engineer be required and somewhere in that can of worms is the cause.

If its still dropping while in test socket raise the fault at https://faults.plus.net and get back to us here so we can get this picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Gillrich1
Dabbler

I've raised a ticket and jumped through all the loops but now I'm being asked to run speed test on my line? How can I do this when my internet's barely even working? Please stop passing the buck and try and sort this. I'm using my mobile data allowance which is fast running out trying to sort this.

I accidentally closed the ticket because of how slow everything's loading. #192015618, can it be reopened? Download speed is 0 Mbps. Upload 0.06, ping 19050. Please fix. Wife is on phone with you I think.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello @Gillrich1,

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. Once the ticket is closed I am unable to reopen this and you would have to raise a fault. When going through the options choose that your connection keeps dropping and progress to the end.

You do not need to run a speed test as the speed will be lower than your estimates due to the amount of drops you are experiencing.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Gillrich1
Dabbler

Can't even run the trouble shooter again, apparently as a result of the problem with my line?

Fast approaching farce here.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear that @Gillrich1.

I have updated your ticket here with where we would need to go next. Please can you let me know here when you have reviewed the ticket and updated it with the requested information.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Gillrich1
Dabbler

Right, the problem is definitely something on Plusnet's end. I dug out an old router, a four year old TP Link which I got from the bin of a charity shop and hasn't been updated or used since. Hooked it up, configured it, switched it on. Internet suddenly works again, no better or worse than it did before the problems started, although the ping seems a little high.

I'd been using the Plusnet Hub One router until the problems started. It hadn't been touched or reconfigured in any way since you originally sent it to us. It was working absolutely fine up until the problems started. Did you guys push some kind of firmware update that screwed it up? That's the only thing I can imagine could have happened without any physical interaction with it whatsoever.

The Plusnet website is the only website that's still loading and responding slowly. I'm highly suspicious that the problem is something on Plusnet's end which you're just failing to acknowledge. Especially since the original post I made about this seems to have been deleted. I'm taking a screenshot of this one for posterity just in case.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The post you referred to has been released from the Spam Filter and removed as duplicated here..

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @Gillrich1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm pleased to hear the issue has been resolved albeit by using a different router, which does suggest there was something wrong with the router itself. I've responded via the ticket you sent here.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - LF