cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnects and slow internet

Ash0
Dabbler

Frequent disconnects and slow internet

Internet connection was activated on the 19th and I've had nothing but trouble and was hoping someone here could offer some help or advice.
The internet disconnects at least once every few minutes. The Internet light on the router turns off and I'm taken to the Thomson page No broadband connection. And then it comes back. I've done all the steps, tested hardware etc etc but no luck.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 39 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400 Kbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps
Thank you  Smiley
16 REPLIES 16
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Frequent disconnects and slow internet

Hi Ash0,
I am sorry to hear that you are having intermittent connection issues at the moment. There are a few things you can do to try and get to the bottom of this issue.  You could take a quick look at the following link which will show you a few <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/droppingconnection.shtml">Intermittent Fault Checks</a>.
If you find that these checks don't help with the issue then please let us know so we can help you further Smiley
Ash0
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Unfortunately I've tried all of that and I'm still experiencing problems.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ash0,
Sorry to hear it's still ongoing, the best thing to do would be to raise a fault via our troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net - that'll get to our faults team who will update it as soon as they've tested and got more information for you.
Ash0
Dabbler

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just had a look at the reply and it seems a fault has been found with your phone service - do you notice any sort of noise on the line at all when making or receiving calls?
If so, that'll be causing the broadband problem, but it needs to be fixed by your phone provider (whoever you pay your line rental to). Best thing to do is to call them and advise you have a noisy line that needs fixing - but it's important not to mention the broadband if you do, as if you do this they will refer this back to us and there's nothing we can do to fix the noise on the line.
Once they've fixed the noise you should find that the broadband fault has gone, but please let us know if this is not the case.
Ash0
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply, I will give them a call and see if they can sort it. The internet was fine though the day before I joined Plusnet, so I'm not sure why the fault did not affect my previous internet service. It's annoying because I'll have to pay even more for them to fix it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure which phone company you use, but I wasn't aware that any of them charged for fixing a fault with a line! It should be done for free, it certainly is with us.
Ash0
Dabbler

edit
Ash0
Dabbler

Just a few updates:
The internet works fine plugged in to the master test socket
The internet works fine connected normally, checked and changed microfilters etc, before 4pm - after 4pm it disconnects and continues to drop every minute.
Inside the box thing where the test socket is, all the wires are loose (there are only black and green wires) do these need connecting?
Regards
Ash0
Dabbler

Is it still a problem my end if it works outside of peak hours? I've lost nearly a week so far.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Does it drop at those times when in the test socket? Smiley
Ash0
Dabbler

Not when it's in the test socket.
Ash0
Dabbler

Test socket speed test
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.54 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400 Kbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.3 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Ash0,
If it doesn't drop at all when it is the Test Socket then it looks like you may have an internal wiring issue. It would probably be best to have someone take a look at that wiring for you as it doesn't look as though it is able to cope with holding a broadband connection.