cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent disconnections, slowed speeds and phone extension necessary - Help!!

ianpowell1989

Frequent disconnections, slowed speeds and phone extension necessary - Help!!

Hello all,
A few weeks ago my internet dropped to 0.2 - 0.5 mbps.. very annoying!
I've run a few tests as requested, from Plusnet the Current Line Speed is 0.3mb.

The BT wholesale test result:

'Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps'
Nothing whatsoever changed in my set up when the drop occurred, which was previously working at acceptable speeds consistently. I don't excessively use the internet, I don't play online FPS games or anything, I don't often download things, and even if I weren't on the unlimited package I'd still be nowhere near acceptable data usage.
I have a Thomson TG582N router. Physically I've changed over everything; microfilter, dsl cable and phone extension. No noise on the phone line with or without extensions through a handset. I've tried the test socket behind the face plate of the NTE5 master socket, to no avail. I did a 'cold' restart of the router, and reset it to factory settings, and also moved it away from any possible electrical interference from my nearby TV and xbox.
What's really strange about this is that I can't get an internet connection without the phone extension. I've tried two different (one old one new) phone extensions plugged into my master socket with the microfilters, which connect to the (albeit slow) internet fine. But when the modem is connected directly to the master socket or test socket with microfilter and dsl the broadband light flashes and the modem says the dsl connection is down and 'can't bring up link'. This bit in particular is doing my head in somewhat, as I can't figure out why it only works with a phone extension and not when directly connected to the socket itself. I've systematically tried all the combinations of things I can think of and the phone extension seems to be vital haha.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1 REPLY
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Frequent disconnections, slowed speeds and phone extension necessary - Help!!

As you clearly already know, if you are using the same DSL cable, filter, and socket in both cases, what you are describing is almost impossible to explain, even in the sometimes wacky world of DSL - can't think of any way that removing the telephone extension cable could change it from working to non-working, because the other items have already been proven to work.
If it's still the same this morning, all I can suggest is that the socket/s may be faulty or dirty, although the chances of that having only affecting the connection when you connected directly seem remote, but you may as well gently clean the plug connectors with an old toothbrush or similar, check that the pins in the socket/s aren't bent or damaged, and try inserting and removing the plug from the socket a few times to make sure the connection is clean.
Copying and pasting your full router DSL stats may shed some light on why your connection is so poor even when it's working, and a quiet line test (dial 17070, option 2) may reveal some noise (which could be intermittent.)
Afraid that's about all my ADSL knowledge and Bank Holiday Monday morning brain can offer!  Roll eyes