cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent broadband drop outs

deranged
Dabbler

Frequent broadband drop outs

I've been experiencing regular broadband drop outs - especially Bank Holiday Monday and tonight (31st August).

Just wondering what may be causing the issues? I've not changed anything in terms of set up etc. 

Thanks

Rob 

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Frequent broadband drop outs

Hi Rob.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

While we can see the drops and things don't look good, line tests aren't finding the cause of the problem.

Could you try the troubleshooting steps Here and if you still experience problems please report the fault to us Here so we can investigate further.

Feel free to let us know over here if you need any further assistance or want us to take a look at the fault again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
deranged
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf

I've tried the various tests including plugging into the master switch - download speed was no different - about 3.78. Still having drop out issues and streaming is problematic. I'll follow the link and report it.

Rob

deranged
Dabbler

That being said, the broadband fault link is reporting errors! 

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

What kind of errors are you getting when you try and report the fault?

deranged
Dabbler

I'm clicking the link and first page that comes up is an error with the suggestion to try again later.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @deranged,

Looks like it did error when you tried to raise it. So apologies for that, thankfully it created a ticket reference on the account so I've used this to progress it for you.

The outcome of the tests are that because of the drops recently it's forced the exchange to impose speed restrictions which is why your throughput has dropped low, this is a process called DLM (dynamic line management) where the exchange tries its best to automatically rectify instability and then once that happens it should lift back to normal levels after a few days. That hasn't worked in the case of your line so it will have to go down the normal fault path. 

So we need to investigate what the cause of the drops are but before we do anything can I just ask is it still our router you use or do you use your own set up? If it's the one we sent can I replace that because the router listed on the account is quite old now, so I'd want to make sure that isn't just giving up the ghost. 

deranged
Dabbler

Hi Jolo 

Yeah, I'm still using the original router that was sent when I opened the account. By all means pop a new one out so I can try that. Address details remain the same.

Rob

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@deranged

I've ordered that for you. When it comes replace everything (filter, all the cables etc,.) with the ones that come in the box. If you currently use more than one filter (for example filters on different sockets in your property) I'd suggest replacing these too. Unfortunately you'll need to purchase some more yourself as the routers now are only sent with one in the box.

The new routers also have auto-setup which your old Thomson probably didn't have. You just need to plug it in let the sync light goes solid and then leave it for 10 minutes for all your authentication details to propagate. Obviously, any wireless devices will have to be reconnected back up and any bespoke settings you have currently set will need to be manually transferred to the new router. 

I should say when you have the new router connected, your speed probably won't increase off the bat, we'll likely have to reset the profile to force it to lift the line rate so don't worry if it still seems the same. Just let us know when you've got the new equipment plugged in and it's connected and we'll retest everything for you and let you know if it appears to have made a difference. 

deranged
Dabbler

New router arrived today and I've just set it up - it is likely to take a few days to "settle" now? I've not been in today but have been told by those who were that there were no noticeable drop outs.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, our logs are only showing a single drop since yesterday so things are looking better so far. It's definitely work us reviewing the situation after another couple of days so I'll make sure we check in with you on Monday. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
deranged
Dabbler

Cheers Adam.

Less drop outs definitely but still superslow streaming resulting in buffering/poor quality picture.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi again. I have raised this back to our suppliers for you, as we can still see slow speeds on the line. Can you confirm that you are still connected to the test socket at the moment?