Did you mean: 

Frequent Connection Drops and long connection times

Million
Grafter

Re: Frequent Connection Drops and long connection times

Tracing route to ptn-cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1  2494 ms    2 ms    2 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    38 ms    34 ms    36 ms  lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.
  3    37 ms    35 ms    34 ms  ge0-0-0-303.ptn-gw01.plus.net [84.
  4    36 ms    33 ms    33 ms  ptn-cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Million,
Sounds like you might have several problems, however returning to the line synch issue...  If you find that when the modem loses synch and nothing you do makes it synch again, try phoning your house phone (from your moblie??) and answer the inbound call - see if you get immediate re-synch after that.
I've had a problem like this for weeks.  PN Towers carried out lots of tests for me and could not locate a fault (such is the nature of intermittant faults, they are never there when you look).  BT also undertook "extensive" tests and found "no fault with their equipment".  2 days ago a significant number of BT users in my area (myself included) lost all BT service.  Now that they have fixed it the problem, my phone line terminates in the local pub!!!!!!
Morale of the story... Intemittant faults are never there when you look for them and following the rule book might not be helpful.  PN have their hands tied behind their backs with the poor state of some of the BT network and when BT finally do fix the non-existant problem, you might need to go to your local to use you BB service!!!!  Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Million
Tracing route to ptn-cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1  2494 ms    2 ms    2 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    38 ms    34 ms    36 ms  lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.
  3    37 ms    35 ms    34 ms  ge0-0-0-303.ptn-gw01.plus.net [84.
  4    36 ms    33 ms    33 ms  ptn-cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]

That was what I was expecting to see - how did you get the trace you posted here? (that caused us all some confusion!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Could it have been done from work? It definitely didn't originate from a PN DSL connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulby
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Could it have been done from work? It definitely didn't originate from a PN DSL connection.

Or over a VPN where he's using the remote end as the default gateway.  You'd need to untick the box in the VPN setup (IIRC it's defaulted to use the gateway at the remote end with the Windows VPN client)to route non-VPN traffic through the local gateway.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I can certainly see a number of disconnections, with the last connection lasting for a couple of hours.  You ideally need to run the Broadband Fault Checker.  The reason why you keep on being asked to do so is because you haven't actually finished it yet, and it keeps on closing after 48 hours of inactivity.
You've tried the test socket, can you try changing filters and using a friends modem if possible?
Million
Grafter

Morning, im going to install a new modem tomorrow, i cant do it today as i need some kind of connection today(even if it does drop out) for my work.
The vpn i use is a cisco application that i log into, i dont use the manual windows vpn login.
So, ill try the new modem setup 2mo and get back to u all, and hopefully i will b able to finish the broadband fault checker also.
in the meantime ill monitor the line today and report back any drop-outs i have
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This is VITAL: When you run the fault checker or any other tests anyone asks you to do the VPN must not be connected. If you are not sure go to http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway and make sure it says you are on one of the Plusnet gateways or run the tracert and make sure it looks similar to the last time you ran it (i.e. only 4 lines).
Million
Grafter

yup i understand that, just as anotehr note, carried out a quick speedtest again, im getting more like im used to, hitting around 5mb, which is better than the test last night, which was under 1mb
cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero

At present, if the VPN is connected ALL your traffic is being routed via what looks like Paris (is that where the office is?). It is quite normal for VPN connections to be rate limited (the link I use is limited to 1MB) so that you can't affect the internet for everyone else in the office.
What the information you've provided has shown is that your VPN is not set up optimally. The routing should be arranged so that only the traffic destined for the office network goes over the VPN and all other traffic goes via your normal connection. I'm not familiar with the Cisco VPN so I can't point you in the right direction to sort that out.
Million
Grafter

when i have done traceroute, im not connected to a VPN, the reason its showing france is that u gave me a web link to a traceroute server, to carry out the trace i had to pick a server, i picked the french server, as it was the closest, and the trace wouldnt continue without me picking  a server.
If i do a trace within dos, i get the nornal 4 line trace as i pasted in late last night.
Hope that clears things up.
Million
Grafter

For the majority of today ots been 5, only 1 disconnect, up untill around 7ish it discond, then took up real fast, about 10 mins ago, frequent discon and long sync times.
Million
Grafter

right then, yestersday was mostly fine, however today has been a nightmare, constant discons, constant sync loss.
I had a BT voyager 220v to test, but it was locked to BT isp, so i tried to update with cracked firmware, half way thru that installation the firefox froze and now its a brick.
how can it be that 1 day its goos, 1 day its rubbish?
also any ideas how to unbrick the 220v modem would b helpfull, then i can test.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

The weather here was pretty awful yesterday - do the times when you are getting lots of disconnections follow wet weather?
Million
Grafter

Well i did think this myslef, but saturday was worse weather than yesterday, and as i said sat was fine (apart from me bricking that modem).
So i dunno if it is weather related, its rained like i have never seen on saturday day, and i didnt get any discons.