Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent Broadband disconnections

greengrass
Grafter

Frequent Broadband disconnections

Hello,

Since Monday my Broadband connection has kept dropping out for a couple of seconds and reconnecting. I know as my trading platform makes a sound when it disconnects and reconnects. I use a laptop but also tried it on the desktop and had the same problem.

This morning about 7:30 I had no connection at all for 20 minutes. I turned the Homehub off and on again and it did connect but instead of my usual 6mbps I was getting 0.3mbps.

The speed has increased at the moment but there seems to be an intermittent fault somewhere.

I do have a dial tone on the telephone.

Could someone please check my line or if there is a know fault in the area?

9 REPLIES 9
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Frequent Broadband disconnections

We aren't seeing many disconnections bar the one you had today

image14726316652380

I've just ran a intrusive test which will have caused a drop but it isn't showing any issues.

Is your desktop connected over ethernet?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
greengrass
Grafter

Hello Mathew,

Thank-you for your help. I thought the disconnection at 9:25 might have been your test.

The one this morning  lasted about 20 minutes but the disconnections from the previous 2 days only lasted for a second or three.

My trading platforms are open 25/5 and over the last few years they rarely disconnect, the last 2 days all 3 platforms were intermittently disconnecting. Not just a problem with one broker platform.

At one point they were disconnecting every 4-5 minutes.

I had turned the Homehub off and on again a couple of times since Monday hoping it might sort the problem out.

To answer your question I am using the Laptop and desktop wirelessly without an Ethernet cable.

It is certainly working fine now.

Editing to add that from the chart you posted it is not showing any disconnections on Monday 29th and Tuesday 30th which is odd because that is when I was having the problems.

The chart is not even showing the times I restarted the Homehub when the connection was down for about 3 minutes each time.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It could potentially have been a wireless interruption although the only way to know for sure would be to connect over a wired connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
greengrass
Grafter

Wireless Internet connection was good yesterday until about 9pm when it disconnected a couple of times so I used the Ethernet cable and no more throughout the night.

It is awkward to use with the Ethernet cable as the telephone socket is away from the table and the lead it short.

I used it wirelessly all day and no disconnections so I am not sure why Monday and Tuesday were so bad.

When there are connection problems I always try to sort them out myself before posting here by turning the Homehub off and on again, restarting the laptop, trying the desktop and from now on will also try connecting the Ethernet cable.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@greengrass

The Plusnet help for WiFi is shown here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
greengrass
Grafter

Thank-you for that link spendless time.

The router is on a table in the lounge about 6 feet away from where I always use the laptop, the only electrical appliances nearby are a lamp and a BT8500 digital cordless telephone which is next to the Homehub.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You may want to try and move the cordless phone as far away from the Hub One as possible. Or if the leads aren't long enough, unplug the base station of a while to see if the frequent WiFi disconnections cease.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
greengrass
Grafter

Thank-you for the suggestion spendless time.

I have had the Homehub next to the telephone since March 2015 without any problems.

Thankfully I am not getting any disconnections now, it was Monday and Tuesday I had the problems. If it starts again I will move the telephone to test.

All the best.

greengrass
Grafter

I am not asking for any assistance but wanted to update this thread.

The Broadband connection was good all last week until Thursday about 5:30 P.M when my trading platforms started to disconnect again for a second or 3 and then reconnect.

I immediately plugged in the Ethernet cable to the HH and disconnected the BT8500 telephone but the disconnections carried on all evening and night, at it's worst they were every 3  minutes at best every hour.

Friday everything was working well again without the Ethernet cable so it's a bit of a mystery as to what is causing the intermittent drop outs.