cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing Browsers

jjlothin
Grafter

Freezing Browsers

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, my broadband connection has been driving me nuts. When I'm on the internet, after a couple or so minutes, sometimes a bit longer, the browser window just freezes (whether I use Firefox or IE) and the only way I can carry on with what I'm doing is to open a new window or tab, till the same thing happens again.
I've tried - oh, how I've tried! - to get some help from PlusNet Support, which has also been driving me nuts. They have agreed that there's some problem with my connection: although I don't disconnect, it fades away to almost nothing.
Today they've set up something called interleaving - it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
If anyone here has any suggestions, they would be most welcome!
dick:red All Caps title edited as per forum rules.
9 REPLIES 9
jjlothin
Grafter

Re: Freezing Browsers

Not sure exactly how that got posted - yes, Firefox froze again, showing my post typed but unposted ... IE wouldn't get on to the Forum at all ... I've got this new post up by closing the original post and trying Firefox again.
Clearly, interleaving has done absolutely zilch!
neil3045
Grafter

Hi, have you tried using a different computer to eliminate the possibility of it being a fault on the computer your using?
jjlothin
Grafter

Unfortunately I don't have another computer to try with!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi there you could try this with I.E.8......http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got AVG 9 if so go into its control panel and switch off link scan
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi jjlothin,
Sounds like you may have an intermittent line problem of some sort.
First please check your phone line - do you have dial tone on your line, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
What Modem/Router are you using? Do you know to access your Modem/Router ADSL line stats?
If you can post both Downstream and Upstream - Sync/connection speed, Attenuation, NoiseMargin (SNRM) and Power.
Try here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php - if you need guidance for many Modem/Routers.
Can you also post the results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ - (you need Java Runtime Environment installed for this to work - the latest version for your OS).
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says for your current profile/line speed.
Finally could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removeable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One final tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.
Oh, another favourite at this time of year, you don't have any sets of flashing Xmas lights you've recently switch on?
jjlothin
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
have you got AVG 9 if so go into its control panel and switch off link scan

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, PIERRE PIERRE! Thanks to your suggestion, I can now browse like a breeze.  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the simple answers are the easiest  Grin Grin
jjlothin
Grafter

Many thanks for this detailed reply but, as you will see, the solution proved much simpler - thank goodness!  Smiley
Quote from: Anotherone
Hi jjlothin,
Sounds like you may have an intermittent line problem of some sort.
First please check your phone line - do you have dial tone on your line, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
What Modem/Router are you using? Do you know to access your Modem/Router ADSL line stats?
If you can post both Downstream and Upstream - Sync/connection speed, Attenuation, NoiseMargin (SNRM) and Power.
Try here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php - if you need guidance for many Modem/Routers.
Can you also post the results from http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ - (you need Java Runtime Environment installed for this to work - the latest version for your OS).
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says for your current profile/line speed.
Finally could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removeable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One final tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.
Oh, another favourite at this time of year, you don't have any sets of flashing Xmas lights you've recently switch on?