cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Usage vs Paid Usage

kieran
Dabbler

Free Usage vs Paid Usage

Sorry I've just realised I've stupidly put this in the Business Users Board. I'm on Home Broadband. Can a moderator please move this to a more suitable location.
Hi,
I'm a new Plusnet user (4 days). And I was just wondering if you could answer some questions I have.
Basically, I know the free usage if 12 (Midnight) til 8:am. That's an eight hour window I have to download my stuff.
The other night (Wednesday 12th), I started my download at around quarter past midnight. This download was around 400mb in size, and on my connection would have been completed well before 1am. It WAS completed like I said, well before 1am, however my usage quota shows:
WED:
Paid Usage : 424.24MB
Free Usage : 51.29KB
As you can see, the download which I thought was 'free' was added to my paid usage.
And just this morning, I started a download of similar size at about 8:20 am (during 'paid' time). It was completed by about 8:40. I've just checked my usage and seen the following:
FRI:
Free Usage : 572.52MB
Paid Usage : 3.42MB
As you can see, my download which I thought was 'paid' was added to my free usage.
From my understanding, and based on my results; I've drawn the conclusion that BST is 1 hour BEHIND what PlusNet say it is. Is this the case or am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing.
It may be that my router time is different, or would this not be the case? Can someone clarify what time PlusNet uses to base it's uage time on (GMT, UTC, BST etc...)

Thank you Cheesy
Kieran
10 REPLIES 10
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Free Usage vs Paid Usage

I think you might be right mate , I downloaded a big file the other night , I started the download at just after 12 and it seems it was in my paid usage.
Cheers
Paul.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: kieran
WED:
Paid Usage : 424.24MB
Free Usage : 51.29KB
As you can see, the download which I thought was 'free' was added to my paid usage.

I don't think that's what's happened here TBH. Any usage close to the cross-over period is discarded to prevent problems like this happening. I've checked your usage between 5pm and 10pm on the day in question and you did transfer close to 400MB of data. I reckon the download after midnight was discarded.
The same probably applies to your second example.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kieran
Dabbler

Ah ok. Thank you for the explanation. When you say 'close to the cross-over' period, how close do you mean? Do you have a specific time?
Kieran
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's the hour before/after. The usage information is partially determined using interim RADIUS data which is sent using UDP. Unlike TCP packets, UDP packets aren't re-transmitted if they're lost. It's for this reason that we have the aforementioned safeguards.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you tell me please what is meant by "usage is discarded"?
Does it mean that usage within ±1 hour of the crossover period appears in NEITHER "free" nor "paid-for" usage?  So, it's effectively free for us users?!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It all depends when the reports come in.
For example if a report comes in at 23:45 that is classed as paid but for the next report which comes in at say 00:30 they have no idea whether the usage between 23:45 and 00:30 is paid or free so it is discarded.
mooblie
Rising Star

OK thanks, I understand that.  So am I still correct to assume that "discarded" means NOT included in paid-for usage, and so: it is "free" usage?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

correct but not included in the free usage total
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Discarded means not counted at all. This post provides a full explanation.
mooblie
Rising Star

Great.  Thanks everyone.