cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating speed, wireless issues?

VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Re: Fluctuating speed, wireless issues?

If you read my first post, you'll see that I keep getting such fluctuating slow speeds at any time...so slow that I can't use the internet, along with actual cut-outs...so if you're in the middle of a credit card transaction or other forms of security based data it's hard to know if the data has gone through at all or been completely messed up.  I would glady have slower speeds if the actual wireless connection was consistent. I made this thread because I had noticed the way my connection/equipment was acting lately, which was different to how it usually is and I would rather know sooner than later if my router is going wrong, than be left with nothing at all.
niko
Grafter

one easy workaround this would be for you be buy some homeplugs ,
you just plug one in a power socket by your router ,with a lead going from the router to the homeplug
then in the room you use your laptop you plug the 2nd homeplug in a power socket then a lead from the homeplug to your laptop
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Thanks for that niko!  Smiley
I've never heard of homeplugs, so I searched on Amazon.co.uk and it actually looks like something fairly easy and not too expensive to try if I continue to have wireless trouble. It will give me a very realistic and workable alternative. Workable...in that it seems to actually make sense to me on first reading!
niko
Grafter

no problem ,they really are plug and play
and to be honest i think there better than wireless ,id have a think about getting some anyway
i installed  some for a friend with a very big house and the speed at the 2nd plug is the same as off the router i was very impressed
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Just giving this a bump-up in case Plusnet have anything else to add, whether I need a new router etc....although from what I've read a Thomson V8 would be much worse than the V7 I have for wireless connection. Or whether I should just persevere with my intermittent issues or do as niko suggested and try the homeplugs instead?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It may be the router itself though unfortunately this is now outside the warranty period I'm afraid so we wouldn't be able to replace it on that basis. Regarding the v8's though, the wireless issue only seems to be with certain adapters rather than across the board.
Having said that though I suspect homeplugs would be a faster and easier solution, wired ethernet is much less susceptible to errors and slowdowns.
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Thanks Matt.
If my router does completely go wrong anytime am I able to actually buy a router from Plusnet?
I've seen people on the forum asking about what routers to buy and quite frankly it's something else that confuses me, so if I had to get another one, I like to make sure it worked with Plusnet.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi VictoriaIceni,
Yes, you could get a router from us. We'd need £4.99 P&P but the £40 charge for the router would only be taken if you left within 12 months.
Jojo Smiley
VictoriaIceni
Grafter

Many thanks for letting me know about that, Jojo.  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're welcome. If you'd like to do that just give us a call on 08004320200 Smiley