cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fluctuating Broadband Speeds

soupbowl
Hooked

Fluctuating Broadband Speeds

Hi Everyone. I'm sorry if I've postedin the wrong forum, it's my first time here!
I've been with Plusnet for around 8-9 months now and I've been pretty impressed with everything. Especially with such a human support base rather than the automated rubbish on other networks.
I've had the odd issue and slowdown now and then and I've excersized my Britishness and complained about them, and Plusnet resolved it before (not entirely sure what they did, but it worked). Except now I'm having a peculiar problem I've not encountered before.
Last night my secondary router decided to refuse connections from my new Windows 8 installation, so I replaced the router with another one I had lying around. Embarrasingly I swapped it three times when I realised the original router was fine, I hadn't configured it properly (the DHCP was overlapping the Technicolor pool). I restarted my router around 6 times last night and last night is crawled to such a slow speed I gave up the ghost and fixed it the next morning.
Next morning, correct config (one DHCP) and everything's working smoothly. Watched a bit of the old Netflix until around 7:45PM today, when suddenly everything stopped streaming. I pinged google and didn't get a response, yet my Technicolor router still claimed there was a connection. Since them it has been fluctuating, ranging from speeds of 2Mbps (the expected speed) and 500Kbps, to nothing at all. Took me 5 minutes to load up this post screen, and after it loaded everything else was fast as anything.
I'm not sure why my speeds are fluctuating so badly, and I'm not sure if it's my configuration that can cause this. So I ran through faults.plus.net (as much as I could when it didn't drop the connection). It told me to try a 'quiet line' test on my land line phone. I tried it and during the call it seemed quiet enough, but there was an odd faint crackling. I've always been on cable broadband before ADSL so I had no idea what this meant, whether it was bad or not.
Also worth noting is there has been some construction work nearby, the plot of land next to us is erecting a school. During this work we've had weird power surges (not sure if that's the correct term, the lights kept dimming randomly but my equipment is surge protected). I'm not sure if that could indicate some work they're doing is interfering somehow.
I aplogise for the long winded post, as I couldn't think of a better way to explain it. Long story short, I've been having big speed fluctuations on my broadband and I can't figure out why. Can anyone help? Attached is a speed test I managed to run when the internet slowed down last. I'll run another one when the speed picks up again.
EDIT: connection dropped entirely now. Posing and viewing on my phone now.
3 REPLIES 3
AndyT
Grafter

Re: Fluctuating Broadband Speeds

Hi Soupbowl,
I've run some testing on your connection and can see a lot of errors being detected on the downstream.  This has caused the line management software on your circuit to reduce your speeds in an attempt to reduce the errors.  I can't see a specific reason for the errors on the line, but they are usually indicative of some sort of fault somewhere along the circuit so I'd advise completing the faults checker if possible so our faults team can get this fully investigated for you.
soupbowl
Hooked

Hi Andy,
Thanks for responding. I'm currently going through it, I've reached the part where I've switched to a different filter, so I'm awaiting any noticable differences before I continue. Interesting! What kind of curcuit failures could there be? Like, is this an issue with my local network configuration that is being detected (I rebooted my router 4-6 times a couple of days ago) or somewhere between the phone socket and the station there's an issue? I'd just like to know more about what the potential problem could be if that's permissable.
Thanks for picking this up.
EDIT: For what it's worth, I've discovered my internal network issue and fixed it. I had the primary Plusnet router connected to the secondary router via the WAN port instead of LAN. Since fixing this I've had no network issues, and since swapping the filter I can't say I've noticed any issues so far.
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We're still seeing errors on the line so I'd recommend completing the troubleshooter.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team