cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat with ethernet sockets and wifi router

amatigianc

Flat with ethernet sockets and wifi router

Dear All,

I moved to a brand new flat where both the bedrooms have Cat5 (or 7?) sockets. However, my wifi router is connected to the living room. The Wifi signal in one bedroom is rather weak and sometimes disconnects. So I was thinking to move the Plusnet router. So this is the question:

The router has an ADSL output that usually goes into the phone line. Is there a way I can manage to connect the router to the Cat5 socket and have wifi in the bedroom?

I hope it makes sense. Thank you.

GC

1 REPLY 1
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Flat with ethernet sockets and wifi router

Hi @amatigianc,

I'd imagine that these ethernet cables are likely a local provider that supply services direct to the apartment. In Sheffield we have a company called Ask4 that supply services in this way to connected apartment blocks (usually University/Student digs). The best and easiest way to find out if this is the case is to plug in an Ethernet cable into the port and then plug the other end into a PC or Laptop, normally this would cause an automatic popup and sign in page for the relevant service, in which case you won't be able to use these sockets for any other service other than the connected provider (as far as I'm aware). 

If not then it's likely that the flat is connected everywhere via ethernet and there will be a central point that you should be able to connect to your router and then hardwire devices into those wall ports. 

Alternatively devices like extenders, mesh network devices or powerline adapters will likely be the best solution for you if it's just the one bedroom that has an issue.