Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Wireless Broadband

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fixed Wireless Broadband

Because of  my distance from the exchange our broadband is slow  Quite a few people in this area have gone over to fixed wireless broadband with a little reflector on the roof I had hoped that as more people left B T my own signal would improve ,but this has not been the case in fact I think it has deteriorated

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  1.7 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.85 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Fixed Wireless Broadband

Hi,

BTw DATA speed tests in isolation are not overly useful - they only report what your line is doing, not what it might be capable of doing and if it is optimal.  I suggest we need to cover some basics (as per the speed issues topic) please...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 1605476 1674686 0 59054 64183 10:10:53
LAN1 Link down 2242573 1377289 0 11173 1376 47:33:13
LAN2 100M/Full
LAN3 1000M/Full
LAN4 Link down
WLAN b/g/n 145M 1392241 951044 0 7999 809 47:32:43
WLAN a/n 300M 216497 81683 0 924 52 47:32:36

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 2311 Kbps 446 Kbps
Line Attenuation 69.0 dB 43.7 dB
Noise Margin 3.4 dB
stathe
Rising Star

My speed is 1.8 this morning a little better but am unable to complete  the BT test  There is a slight hiss on my phone but not unusual

@Townman wrote:

Hi,

BTw DATA speed tests in isolation are not overly useful - they only report what your line is doing, not what it might be capable of doing and if it is optimal.  I suggest we need to cover some basics (as per the speed issues topic) please...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh this is sad!!  With the reported attenuation (length of line) I rather think you are doing VERY well with the 2.3mbps synch rate.  Going by normal measures you are lucky to be getting anything at all; 1.6mbps SYNCH speed would be optimistic.

I note that the line is running at a SNRM of 3dB - if the line is dropping a lot, the stability might be improved, but that would be at the expense of speed.

In answer to your OP, it is not the number of people using the BT network which is the issue here, it is simply the distance from the exchange.  Is fibre available?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stathe
Rising Star

Thank you yes I have heard it all before ,but usually I complain when it starts to slip and then there is an improvement  My line rarely drops and though slow has generally been reliable The radio broadband costs 25 pounds a month and as an OAP may not be for me ,plus I think I would have to change my e mail For me things work at 2 or just below and it has been O K in the past but not with the plusnet router 

stathe
Rising Star

•   Domestic

• 10Mbps>20Mbps Download Speed
  • 2Mbps Upload
  • 250GB Download Limit- This is the equivalent of watching around 40 HD Films
  • Downloads between 10pm and 6am Don't count towards your Limit
    • £25month
    This is from South West Broadband and some have had government subsidy vouchers for this 

stathe
Rising Star

Though fibre is in Burrowbridge not here Thank you

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@stathe wrote:

...it has been O K in the past but not with the plusnet router 

Which Plusnet router?

The TG582n (not issued for a couple of years now) is pretty good at hanging on to a ropey ADSL line - though I'm sure that there will be others out there just as good.

stathe
Rising Star

I have a Netgear DG ND 3700 v2  ex my son who was working for Vodafone and prior to that 2wire BT ones provided by kindly B T men as a solution to my problems The Plusnet ones were not as good on my line

stathe
Rising Star

I have a Technicolor  TG 582 n as well but dont use it Thank you for your  interest