Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed IP on Value package?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Fixed IP on Value package?

I am using an Amateur Radio VOIP application called Echolink. Using the Thompson TG585 router the only way to get it to work properly is to use the option to assign my public IP address (similar to DMZ) to the computer running the software. This works fine but there is a problem. Any loss of Internet connection for any reason results in  a change of the IP assigned to me and the computer has to be re-booted. Also, I have to re-assign port forwarding to the new IP. As I am not even aware of it happening I am often left with my station off line. I know that some people have a fixed IP with the Value package but this does not seem to be available now. Is it possible or not?
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fixed IP on Value package?

Not
The people who have it retained it when they moved from an earlier package which included it
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

That is a shame - I was on a fixed IP before I moved to Value but did not bother to keep it as at the time it did not matter 😞
dick:quote
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

From the PN broadband faq
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml#ipAddress
Do I get a Dynamic IP or Static IP?
All our accounts connect with a Dynamic IP address as standard.
Plusnet Extra & Pro customers can request a Static IP if needed..

Looks like you would have to move to the exta package to get this.
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bertb
Grafter

I realise this is an old thread but I have now got the same problem after changing router. The old router worked fine but this Thomson TG585 V8 will not. I am trying to use the same VOIP program, Echolink, as the OP. I have tried port forwarding but that doesn't work so do I need a static IP. And if so  can I get it on my current plan (from tomorrow) Plusnet Unlimited? Am I asking the right questions even?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know anything about Echolink,  however I just read through their website and can't see any mention on requiring a static IPv4 internet address for this to work.
However, searching the internet for solutions, there are lots of mentions of setting the computer (running Echolink) on your LAN to have a static local IP address, in order to make port forwarding on your router easier.
I could be wrong, but I think you might be talking about two different things.
Regardless of the above, once you are on 'Unlimited' (tomorrow), then you can add a static IPv4 internet address to your account for a one-off payment of £5.  Once activated you will need to reboot your router for the static IP address to be applied to your connection.
bertb
Grafter

Thanks Purleigh. I don't know how but I have it working again. I reset the router and unassigned/assigned the application in the router and now it is working.
This has happened before but at some time it will stop working. Using www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ tool shows the ports closed so I don't know how it's working. Never mind, I shall leave it as it is and keep using it.
I think you may be right ref local LAN having a static IP address, I don't know how that works (as you can tell) so I will leave THAT well alone as well......
Thanks again.
BTW when I checked internet connectivity it shows connectivity to DNS server 1 & 2 (212.159.6.10/9) as not connected. does that matter?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: bertb
BTW when I checked internet connectivity it shows connectivity to DNS server 1 & 2 (212.159.6.10/9) as not connected. does that matter?

What is telling you that the DNS servers are not connected ?
Are you connected to your router via wireless ?
bertb
Grafter

The router connectivity check.
Under Internet it has:
Tick connectivity to Gateway        (195.166.128.186)
X          "        "      to DNS Server 1 (212.159.6.10)
X          "        "      to DNS Server 2 (212.159.6.9)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thinking back to when I used a TG585v8 those DNS connectivity tests showing 'unconnected' are 'normal' and nothing to worry about. It's a bug in reporting.
David
bertb
Grafter

Thanks for that spraxyt. I have to resist 'fixing things that ain't broke' Or as I call it 'improving it'