cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed 1Mbps line getting only 500kbps download speed

iangoldby
Grafter

Fixed 1Mbps line getting only 500kbps download speed

I had my line regraded from maxDSL to a fixed rate 1 Mbps product due to severe problems with the MAX product (I seem to have a very unstable line), and since then I've had a rock-solid connection with downstream SN margin varying between 10 dB and around 17 dB. Even when the margin is at its lowest, the packet loss reported by ping is 0%.
The only problem is, my maximum download speed seems to be capped at around 500 kbps. I've tried a couple of different speed testers, including PlusNet's own. Also, on the PlusNet Connection Settings>High Speed Broadband page it says "Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps", which is a little worrying.
It was Friday last week that my line was finally and successfully regraded to the fixed 1 Mbps service, and that was after about two and a half months of mistakes and problems with BT, failed regrades, etc.
So, can anyone suggest why I'm only getting throughput around half of my sync speed, and what I can do about it?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fixed 1Mbps line getting only 500kbps download speed

At a guess Plusnet have screwed up and their system thinks you are still on max with a 500kbps IP rate.
Could you try the BT speedtest  http://speedtester.bt.com/ and see what that states. If it also says 500kbps then it is BT system which is at fault.
iangoldby
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, the BT Speed tester http://speedtester.bt.com/ has stopped working for me - I just get a small red cross in the corner of where the Java applet appears. It had been working until the regrade was completed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It looks as though your account was still set on MaxDSL from our side with a line rate of 500. I've updated this to match the 1Mb speed you should be seeing. If you reboot your modem/router you should see the better speeds coming through.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
iangoldby
Grafter

Chris,
Thanks so much for doing that. I think it has fixed it, but just my luck, this evening my noise margin is exceptionally low and I'm getting a bit of packet loss. The speed tests are giving very random results, but the most recent one, while sitting around 300 kbps most of the way through made a sudden spurt at the end and averaged 688 kbps.
I'll test again when the line noise is back to normal levels.
Ian
iangoldby
Grafter

My noise margin is back to 10.5 dB (was 11 dB a bit earlier today) and I'm now getting the sort of speed I expect from a 1Mbps connection, and no lost packets.
Thanks again.