cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time problem

mikko
Grafter

First time problem

I'm on Metronet (since March 2004). Rock steady speeds always(apart from line profile going doing by 0.5 meg) until this evening - suddenly I'm at from 0.7 to 1.3 mb/s.
Latest BT tester result was:
line profile 3500 kbps,
DSL connection rate 448 kbps (UP-STREAM) 4128 kbps (DOWN-STREAM). 
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 1342 kbps
Screen capture attached.
Any ideas please?
6 REPLIES 6
mikko
Grafter

Re: First time problem

This is the first time, (apart from a line profile drop to 1 mbps during a thunderstorm last July, which recovered after 3 days, as expected.)
No changes made at my end - I just thought web pages were loading a bit slower, did an Dan Elwell test, then Thinkbroadband, then BT, BT was the highest.
Up to this evening I've been very steady at about 3200 kbps always
Exchange - VP capacity reported as green, no outages.
See screen shot.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Have you tried rebooting your connection?
I've had a look and your profiling on our and BTs end show 3500Kbps which should be fine.  I do wonder if there has been a recent reset at our end, which would require you to restart your modem/router to pick up the change.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
This could be exchange contention although it seems more severe than I'd expect.

I have seen exchange contention have that effect on my connection in the past, and the BT database is slow to update.
Retest at different times, with some outside of peak.
Chilly
mikko
Grafter

Accoding to BT Tester: Normal this morning (off peak).
2448 kbps at 8.50 pm (almost 1 meg slower than 'normal'), 3137 after rebooting the router at 10.10 pm.
Still a bit variable but just about normal range for me. Funny though - was always very constant before .
Line profile has been up to 4500 kbps in the past. Doesn't look as though it's going to increase now.
chillypenguin
Grafter

This is what exchange contention looks like, measured every hour;

Unfortunately its just a case of sitting back and waiting for BTw to sort the exchange out.
Chilly
mikko
Grafter

OK, Thanks.
Speeds OK over the weekend.
Does an ISP usually draw deficiencies/problems to the attention of BTw or do we wait for BTw to get a round tuit?