cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First ten days

manfromthezoo
Grafter

First ten days

OK, so....I have a question relating to the first ten days use (which started last night), under which my line conditions are assessed. Taken from PN's own comments on the matter:

We'd like you to help us with the tests too. So that we can get accurate results it's important that you connect to the Internet as many times as you can during the first 10 days. When you do this it's a good idea to switch the power to your modem or router off then on again (once or twice a day is fine). This will force your equipment to reconnect. After 10 days, your speeds will start to settle down and give you the best service your line can support.

I'm going to power-cycle my router tonight, then. Does this mean that given a stable line has been running for nearly 24 hours previously, I should get better performance? Looking at the control panel, it seems I am currently getting 2.1MB, from a 3.5 estimate. Alright, I know it's just that - an estimate. Of course, I could have misread this, and it is actually referring to getting as many resyncs as possible in the first ten days?
Any tips for exploiting this period to establish the best possible sync and transfer speeds?
Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: First ten days

Don't restart your router at night! It's better to do it during daylight hours.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Gotcha. Thanks. What's the difference, incidentally? Is that due to peak evening demand forcing slower sync for capacity issues....thusly pushing down your IP Profile?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Less interference during the day.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
zubel
Community Veteran

It's good behaviour to restart a router in the morning rather than the afternoon, primarily because of interference.
Interference can occur from many sources, such as household electrical items, which are often turned off first thing in the morning (TV's, microwaves etc).
Also, the DSLAM at the exchange will have several 'pairs' of connections plugged into it.  These connections are all in very close proximity to each other, and there is the potential for crosstalk interference from those pairs (although the design of the interconnects should minimise it).
Also, RF propagation is much greater during darkness, so the electrical item a couple of doors down that is kicking out a huge RF interference pattern may not 'reach' you during daylight, but could during the nighttime.
Basic conventional wisdom is to restart routers when no-one in close proximity to your router, or any part of your telephone line, is doing anything major!  (read:  mornings, up till about midday :))
B.
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Appreciated, chaps.
I'm also thinking of getting me dad to fit an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 Master Faceplate (he's an old BT engineer). He's done a few before, and the difference has been staggering.
Is this advisable during the first ten day period though?
Again, thanks.
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Just thought I'd bump this, people.
I'll be honest - it's impatience. I have a filtered faceplate right here, and I'm itching to know whether fitting it is safe during the ten day stabilisation period. I raised a ticket too, but if I can get an answer I'll close it to take the burden off the (very busy) support staff.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I don't see the people on line just now that could give a definitive answer to that.
Personally I can't see a problem but I'm not the expert.
Hang fire if you can.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Yeah I'm gonna sit on it a bit. I reckon it might be a good shout though - connection to the test socket syncs at nearly a meg more.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Which points to internal issues like poor wiring, bell wire, Sky box etc.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Also, RF propagation is much greater during darkness,

pedant mode
For the frequencies used by ADSl i.e up to a 2MHz or so yes - but actually it's because of reflections of the inosphere ( why you get longer range reception on medium wave.
At higher frequencies - lets say above 40MHZ  whether its daylight or make makes no difference.
/pedant
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Yep. We just moved into this flat and I suspected extension wiring circuit might cause some botheration.
mal0z
Grafter

Where's your master socket - hopefully it's inside your flat ?
manfromthezoo
Grafter

It is, yes. With (sort of) easy access.
I have an ADSL Nation XTE2005 on order.
mal0z
Grafter

That's good then, a friend of mine lives in one of those flats converted in a large house - and the telephone wiring left much to be desired - i don't think a BT technician has ever stepped over the threshold.