Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First day and concerned about usage stats

washboardmac
Grafter

First day and concerned about usage stats

Hi Folks
Got online via  FTTC today; all went well, engineer was gone within 30 mins. Speed seems good.
But I've been checking my usage on plus.net (yes I've been testing stuff) and it seems high compared with what I've measured.
The usage 'meter' is telling me that I've used 3.35GB today, which breaks down as 75% p2p (~2.5GB), 19% streaming (~636MB) and 6% web (~200MB).
Ok I did download a couple of torrents to see what the speed was like but they only total 1.3GB.  The upload for these was quite small (~100MB per) so that only totals 1.5GB.  Even if we call it 2GB that's still 500MB unaccounted for.
Furthermore I downloaded one programme on iplayer of 305MB.  Does that count as p2p or streaming?  I did stream iplayer for about 5mins just to check all was ok, so where does the figure 636MB come from?
I don't mean to whinge but I'm not on Unlimited and need to be reassured that the figures are accurate.  And yes I have checked other devices/users etc.
Cheers
Andy
7 REPLIES 7
emmanneil
Dabbler

Re: First day and concerned about usage stats

Overheads, the amount you receive will nt be the actual amount you get, TCP uses acknowledgments for data packets if you don't receive them then it retransmits them, thus resulting in higher usage of a file that maybe only 600Mb you might actually receive 650Mb . Although streaming uses UDP to get some info it will uses TCP, again uses data,most streaming uses UDP which has very little overheads and is a fire and forget protocol. Hope this answers a few questions.
picbits
Rising Star

Your usage includes both uploads and downloads so even if you downloaded a 1.5Gb file but had upload uncapped, it would be very easy to transmit a couple of GB in a couple of hours.
*edit - noticed that you already included this.
Possbiy overheads then but I wouldn't have thought you'd have 500Mb of overheads .....
Worth keeping an eye on it during the day / while you're using it etc and see what's using the extra bandwidth. Keep in mind that the usage history on the Plusnet page can take a bit of time to update.
hitachi
Grafter

Do your calculations take into account that throughput is measured in metric (1000 bytes per kilobyte) whereas storage is binary (1024 bytes per kilobyte)
picbits
Rising Star

Just another thought - maybe temporarily install some traffic monitoring software on your PC and see if it tallies up with the figures on the PN site ?
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi All
Thanks for all your replies.  Good suggestions all.
Binary vs decimal seemed worth investigating but it's only a 1.03 factor (assuming my maths is correct!)
It seems ok today though I've just come in.  It went up a bit last night but there were 12 Windows updates to install.
So the web stats look ok, just the p2p and streaming.  I'll have to keep an eye on it and compare it.
Have just installed wireshark. 
Cheers
Andy
Trevstan
Grafter

You not on unlimited I guess? Or just trying to note what your using?
I have used over 150gig in 10 days  :D, speed tests have used most of that good job i am on unlimited  :).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd agree from what you've said that overheads probably account for the extra usage. Let us know if you have any further concerns though.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team