cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First, connection dropping every couple of minutes - now so slow ......

Rachaelsmith82
Dabbler

Re: First, connection dropping every couple of minutes - now so slow ......

Hey , Thanks for replies everyone.
Did a phone line test - with the test socket - presume this is the right way ? Not a trace of a crackle - it was silent  - Not sure if this is good or bad !
My usual speed I would say is 1Mbps - 1.5mps thats what i see when I am downloading anyway  - Dont think my speed has ever been super fast but it has always been sufficient to watch HD Netflix without ever buffering - Now I am lucky to get a pixelated mess of a picture that doesn't buffer every 10 seconds
Thanks for help guys !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Silent is good (unless you meant the line was dead with no dial tone).  I think you have tried a different filter; do you have another cable you can try between the filter and the router?  And when you try something different, the key test for the present is whether the attenuation reported by your router changes.  Your download speed may be 'stuck' in the short term. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For HD streaming you'd really need something approaching 3.5Mbps (according to Auntie Beeb). Anyway your figures clearly suggest something dramatic has changed.
The silent phone line is good and if you only have an NTE5a Master Socket and everything you normally plug in is via the filter, without trying an alternative modem/router it's difficult to come to firm conclusions.
Have you changed anything in your setup recently at all (apart from the filter)? Is that a corded or cordless phone? Were the speedtests wired (ethernet) or wireless?
Anotherone
Champion

There's only a couple of things I can think of at this point you could try -
If the speedtests were wireless, then set up an ethernet connection and turn off the wireless at the modem/router also if your phone is cordless turn of the handsets and base station, then login to the modem/router, click Disconnect in the Internet Box, wait a moment and then power it down. Wait about 10 minutes before powering the modem/router up again (you might need to login to the modem/router and click Connect) and then grab a copy of the full stats to post and run a BT speedtest, all with wireless off and the cordless phone off.
You can then turn the phone on again if it was cordless.
N.B make sure you don't have a mobile phone close to your equipment when you do this.
Rachaelsmith82
Dabbler

Hey ,
Tried what was suggested - here are the stats !

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:04:25
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 252 / 652
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 251 / 648
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 52.00 / 114.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 14.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 34.5 / 71.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 335
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Internet
Connection Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:10
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 103.04 / 216.91

Bt Speedchecker
Download speed (Mbps)  0.20
Upload speed 0.02
Ping Latency  0.00

Thanks !
Anotherone
Champion

In plain language, yuk! No real change there then, so at least you can be sure it's nothing you are doing, or nothing under your control. But hey, that's a good ping time  Crazy
The modem/router is still a possibility, no doubt that will be discovered or ruled out when the engineer turns up.
However, if it turned out to be that, I can't comprehend the cost effectiveness of sending out an engineer instead of another modem/router to try, as your current one is less than 12 months old.
I am suspecting an exchange fault though as there is a few inconsistencies. Apart from your very slow sync, but fairly typical SNR Margin and a very high attenuation, coupled with G.992.3 annex A and now ping 0.00  Huh
Sorry meant to comment before - nothing wrong with G.992.3 annex A  It is ADSL2 (not 2+ or 1), but with that sync speed, attenuation and SNRM,  it shouldn't be!
Out of curiosity, is there any information on the ticket about the outcome of any Plusnet tests?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Some engineers are better than others.  Make sure you stress that the fault is that your speed is now much slower or a bad engineer might fall into the trap that Jelv did earlier in this thread, look at the very high reported attenuation and conclude that your line is not capable of going any faster.
Rachaelsmith82
Dabbler

Plusnet have not really given any much info  - not sure if thats good or not !
if exchange fault who's responsibility would that be ?
ReedRichards - So as long as I emphasis the fact that my speed is much much lower than a week ago the engineer should find it easier to locate cause?  Just want to make sure I get as much as possible from this engineers visit !

Thanks for replies everyone 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Rachaelsmith82
ReedRichards - So as long as I emphasis the fact that my speed is much much lower than a week ago the engineer should find it easier to locate cause? 

This should not matter to a good engineer but may motivate a bad engineer to look harder.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Let me know how the engineer visit goes tomorrow.
Anotherone
Champion

Any fault not on your side of the NTE5a Master socket, is the responsibility of Openreach or BTw. No need to worry.
Rachaelsmith82
Dabbler

Hey ,

So the engineer has just been out - he said he was here for a line fault not broadband fault - I think he worked for BT?  I was a little confused !
Anyway he did tests and said he found no faults apart from the extension lead we have running from router to phone socket  - though that confused me as well as I had thoughtI had eliminated extension lead when I was doing various tests !
Engineer showed me handheld computer thingy which showed when extension plugged in 0.5Mbps and when no extension 15Mbps!!!!!    Though even without probable faulty extension our home computers are still showing speed tests of 0.4 Mbps  - Engineer said that I had to ask for SNR reset and that will hopefully get speed back up and running?

Does this sound about right ?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your profile had dropped, I've adjusted that for you and you should be back upto 15MB/s.
Let me know how you get on.
Rachaelsmith82
Dabbler

Oh My Goodness  -  Its at 15Mbps!!!!     You are a star !  I can watch HD Netflix now  Cheesy

ny green internet light on router is now flashing though - not affecting internet however  - is this normal after reboot / tests etc ?

Thanks everyone who helped over past week - much appreciated
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great news Smiley
The light flashing can indicate data transfer so nothing to worry about.
Enjoy your HD films  Cool