cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware version 10.2.2.B for TG582n router (without USB)

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Firmware version 10.2.2.B for TG582n router (without USB)

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on firmware version 10.2.2.B for the TG582n router?
The reason I ask is that I have read the odd report that it improves wireless performance.
I am currently running 8.4.4.J and it seems to work fine, but if the update improves wireless performance, then I would do it.
Balanced against that is the reliability/stability. 8.4.4.J seems stable. I don't want to give up stability.
So 2 questions really...
1) Does anyone running 10.2.2.B have any performance/stability issues? (That can be attributed to upgrading the firmware?)
2) Can anyone confirm if there is any improvement in wireless performance after upgrading to 10.2.2.B?
Many thanks in advance for any thoughts/replies.
6 REPLIES 6
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Firmware version 10.2.2.B for TG582n router (without USB)

Is anyone out there running firmware version 10.2.2.B and if so are you happy with it?
Many thanks
TORPC
Grafter

I am using 10.2.2.B TG582n without USB and can honestly say that it holds sync really well especially on a 3db profile.
I did not come from and not used 8.4.4.J therefore I can not compare
I thing I noticed that although according to products.http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ the Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n-PS (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B seems to be the same as the firmware for the TG582n with USB as the USB function is switched on in the TG582n without USB
I find the WiFi has a strong signal and quite stable on a non congested channel (in my area is channel 13)
Typically there are at least 4 - 5 WiFi enabled Phones - Tablets & a PHablet in use at any 1 time and they have never dropped out.
Also to take into consideration I have tested & minimised the property for REIN, which helps
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the detailed reply TORPC.
I decided to upgrade and did so this morning. So far so good. I will monitor the reliability over the next few days and see how it goes.
There was one issue during the upgrade process. An error occurred whilst trying to restore the router configuration. So although the firmware upgrade itself worked, the loading of the configuration back on did not. Fortunately I had manually saved the router config before starting the upgrade and was able to load that back on. Otherwise it would have been a total pain to configure everything from scratch (port forwards, IP address allocation etc).
So if anyone out there is planning on upgrading their TG582n, save the router config before starting, just in case the firmware upgrade process doesn't restore it properly.
It is too early to say if wireless connectivity has improved although I did notice a slight improvement in received signal strength (using inSSIDER to give me a reading in db) on the laptop compared to before the upgrade. The improvement is so slight that I am not sure it isn't just wishful thinking.
At least I am running the latest firmware now.
On a related note, if you click on 'Home Network', then 'Devices', under the 'Wireless Access Point' configuration, the router reports 'Actual Speed [Mbps]' as 65. The speed never goes higher than that but I thought wireless N could run at 130 Mbps (or even 300). The laptop is very close to the router so I thought I might see a higher speed than 65 Mbps. Any thoughts on that?
Although my internet connection only runs at a sync speed of 8128, I run a DLNA server and stream content in HD, which is why I am looking for the best wi-fi speeds.
Thanks for any replies/input.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Wireless speed issue, this may help. Extract from User guide.
http://help.demon.net/files/2013/03/TG582n-User-Guide.pdf
To fully benefit from the improved connection speed offered by the IEEE 802.11n standard, it is recommended to only
connect IEEE 802.11n wireless clients to your Technicolor Gateway. Connecting older (for example, IEEE 802.11g)
wireless clients may also slow down connection speed of the IEEE 802.11n capable clients.

Dan.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Dan,
That might explain it.
I will need to do a test where only wireless N clients connect to the router.
65 Mbps is certainly not causing me any problems, I was just curious as to why it wasn't faster.
Thanks again for the reply.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: jafreer
Thanks for the detailed reply TORPC.
So if anyone out there is planning on upgrading their TG582n, save the router config before starting, just in case the firmware upgrade process doesn't restore it properly.

On a related note, if you click on 'Home Network', then 'Devices', under the 'Wireless Access Point' configuration, the router reports 'Actual Speed [Mbps]' as 65. The speed never goes higher than that but I thought wireless N could run at 130 Mbps (or even 300). The laptop is very close to the router so I thought I might see a higher speed than 65 Mbps. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks for any replies/input.

I would say always make a full back up before attempting a (Firmware update) an any router
Only exception to the rule is if the router is set to factory default settings
Ref: Wireless speed
The TG582n  Wireless Speed is set to 130(n)  By default
And can be changed by using telnet
Change wireless n speed (TG582n only)

Command                                                               Comments
wireless radio channelwidth=20 sgi=enabled Wireless Speed 144(n)
wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 sgi=disabled Wireless Speed 270(n)
wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 sgi=enabled Wireless Speed 300(n)
wireless radio channelwidth=20 sgi=disabled Wireless Speed 130(n)  Default
saveall Don't forget this!

When in 270(n) or 300(n) mode the router is not very good at switching off the extra channels when not needed or when it may cause interference to other wireless access points.
For this reason please use these modes responsibly.