Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware upgrade of router

wilfy
Dabbler

Firmware upgrade of router

Hi,
I have had fibre for a couple of years now and have never updated the firmware / software for the original netgear router that was provided. I currently have no problems with it and consistently achieve about 44 mb/s. Is it still worth doing.
Cheers
Wilfy
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Firmware upgrade of router

Which version of firmware is it and the actual router model
I ask because of the known vulnerability with the Netgear WNR1000
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128520.msg1116912.html#msg1116912
wilfy
Dabbler

Thanks oldjim
Router is netgear wnr1000 v3
Firmware Version V1.0.2.30_53.0.66B1

Thanks
Wilfy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Wilfy,
The latest versions that I can find are here: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/WNR1000v3
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for that, Chris. I just upgraded (from 1.0.2.62 to 1.0.2.68) after seeing your post.
All went well (as far as I can see) except:
- during the upgrade process the router didn't automatically reboot. It just sat there, after the 'uploading' bar had finished, with the power indicator blinking orange. Fortunately, after I waited a bit, switched off and restarted, it came back as normal and with the new firmware version. I think this also happened when I upgraded to 1.0.2.62.
- there's a (with luck, just cosmetic) problem with the interface for the internet setup (under the 'advanced' tab). Instead of being set to 'Get [IP address] Dynamically from ISP' - which is what is actually happening - it shows 'Use Static IP Address' with values of:  [blank].unde.unde.unde in the four address boxes. ('unde' expands to 'undefined' if you scroll through one of the last 3 boxes.)
If I click on 'Get Dynamically from ISP' it goes through the motions of disconnecting, reconnecting and updating settings, but then shows the same wrong information as before.
I'm using the version for 'everywhere except North America'. And this issue was present in v1.0.2.62 as well.
These aren't big problems - they're just a bit disconcerting.
Graham