Did you mean: 

Firmware update on Thomson 585V8 failing

FIXED
BillKnocker
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Firmware update on Thomson 585V8 failing

Hi,
I have a Thomson 585v8 running 8.2.7.7 firmware.  I have a Windows 7 Home premium edition (64 bit) laptop and a Hudl2 Android tablet connected to it via WiFi.  I have now added an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - also connected via WiFi.  The printer network report and the Router's devices report both show that it is connected successfully. The laptop and the tablet can't see the printer.  I found a post from Bob Pullen on your forum (posted in 2011) which indicated that this type of issue can be solved by installing firmware version 8.2.7.8 on the router.  It also gave very detailed instructions for downloading the updater and the new image.
I followed this, using the Windows 7 version of the installer  on the laptop, (with WiFi on the laptop disabled and a Cat5 cable plugged in to port 1 on the router) and the installation started successfully, including accepting the router login and passing through the backup phase, but then stalled at 22% through the third step (transferring the image).  After a while, the progress bar jumps to 99% and shortly afterwards I get a message that the upgrade could not be completed.  I have tried re-downloading the image from the forum and powering the router off and back on as suggested by the upgrade software, but the result is always the same.
I went to PlusNet's support centre and entered an on-line chat session with a support analyst.  He told me that PlusNet do not assist in firmware upgrades as this is only needed for people who need special facilities.  He told me to ask for help on your forum.
I subsequently found another conversation on your forum in which a user had been unable to flash and the person (JoJo? - can't find that topic any-more either) who responded said she had asked PlusNet Support to re-flash the router remotely.  Subsequently the original enquirer thanked her and reported that PlusNet had done that and that the problem was fixed.
Can anyone tell me what to do next, or how to persuade PlusNet support to update my router?
As a final point, Bob Pullen suggested an upgrade to 8.2.7.8, but that was 4 years ago.  What is the current image I should be using and where can I find it?
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Firmware update on Thomson 585V8 failing

Fix
I seem to remember having to place the PC on a static IP address to flash the firmware.
Needs to be a IP outside the DHCP pool eg 192.168.1.10.
I assume you've seen this page:
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
BillKnocker
Hooked

Success.  Yes, I had seen it..
Thanks for your reply.
I got it working thanks to posts by MisterW and AKOPOV in 2012.  I disabled the WIFI link on the router and the firewall on the laptop, also the broadband link.  I'm not certain which did the trick, but I think it was the firewall on the laptop.
Now that the router software has been updated, I will try to get the printer working.
BillKnocker
Hooked

Happy end to the story...
Having successfully upgraded the firmware of my Thomson 585V8 router from v8.2.7.7 to v8.2.7.8 as shown in the previous post, I am now able to print via WiFi to my HP OfficeJet Pro 8600  from my Android tablet and my Windows 7 Premium Edition 64 bit laptop.