Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall rules: Blocking DCOM

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Firewall rules: Blocking DCOM

Years ago I set up a firewall rule to block DCOM (port 135) outbound because I noticed a constant low level of traffic generated by windows. Does anyone else do this? Is there a way of stopping it at source in Windows XP and does Win 7 still do the same?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Firewall rules: Blocking DCOM

Is there a way of stopping it at source in Windows XP and does Win 7 still do the same?

You should be able to stop it at source by disabling DCOM using DCOMCNFG as here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825750
I'm pretty sure Win 7 will do the same.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was hoping for an option to restrict it to the LAN (which is effectively what I've done with the firewall rule), that would be the sensible way.
Sorry, forgot we've talking about M$, far too sensible for them! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Ah, I misinterpreted your initial post. I see what you're saying now, yes, typical M$ :). Although my home machines are almost exclusively Linux I do have to use Windows at the office.
As far as DCOM is concerned, for me, its usually a problem of trying to get it to actually work between machines!.
With regards to outgoing DCOM, I wonder if it's Remote Assistance that's generating the traffic ? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.