cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall, Windows or Plusnet or both?

dejjones
Rising Star

Firewall, Windows or Plusnet or both?

I have Windows XP and have the built in firewall turned on.
I also have the Plusnet firewall selected to the "High" setting.
Can anyone tell me if this is the recommended arrangement?
I also have FSecure antivirus 2007.
5 REPLIES 5
grimme
Grafter

Re: Firewall, Windows or Plusnet or both?

Only issue is based on using the XP firewall - it only reports on a limited number of incoming intrusions, plus anything that might be sending out won't get spotted.
Possible replacements include Zonealarm, Kerio or Sygate (All have freeware variants).
I tend to use Zonealarm www.zonealarm.com ; - choose the Basic (free) version.
jazz
Grafter

I use PlusNet Firewall (set on medium), have a hard firewall in the router and use Kerio as a software firewall on my computer (Windows Firewall is switched off).  I like the Kerio it's a free version with limited functions but it does enough for me and it is easy to use.
Not applicable

Following problems with my paid-for Internet Security suite firewall, I reverted to the Windows Vista firewall and have found that my computer is functioning much better.  I have never had any difficulties with this, having used it in the past on XP, although I know that many people consider that a bi-directional firewall is best. 
I also have my router firewall, but I hadn't realised that my F9 firewall was only set at low so I am grateful for your question because I have now reset it to high. I am happy to continue with this setup as I am a cautious Internet user.
Also, my  computer is regularly updated with the Microsoft patches, has Defender and  AVG, both updated. 
However, I can see that a two-way firewall such as Zone Alarm would be better for someone people.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: poppy
Following problems with my paid-for Internet Security suite firewall, I reverted to the Windows Vista firewall and have found that my computer is functioning much better.  I have never had any difficulties with this, having used it in the past on XP, although I know that many people consider that a bi-directional firewall is best.

Vista's firewall is bi-directional.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Yes, I realise that the Vista firewall is bi-directional but as far as I know it has to be configured.  I did find it (via Run/wf.msc) and tried to configure it once but must have got it wrong because being an amateur, it didn't operate correctly so I have left well alone.  Have read the link - thank you for the information. Further advice welcome.