cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox & IP Addresses

colintivy
Rising Star

Firefox & IP Addresses

I have had a couple of days when my laptop with Firefox (up to date) under Ubuntu 8.04 has not managed to access PN or any websites after leaving a decent interval for it to settle down.  It gets as far as "waiting for www.plus.net"; and loading but finally times out . Voyager 210 has all its green lights on and I can access its Config pages which indicate that the internet is all OK. I note that the Network config only shows the main IP Address and not the secondary or tertiary ones. Does this indicate that DHCP gives up if the only one is not functional? It clearly is not a total death because right now I have got straight on without any fiddling at all complete with a pretty good download speed of nearly 3Megs on My Broadband Speed.
Using my "spare" XP machine (also with Firefox) it connects immediately when the laptop fails, which is odd and indicates that there is a problem within the lap top? Any ideas?Huh
Tx in advance.
Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Firefox & IP Addresses

colintivy,
It sounds to me like an issue with how you have DNS configured on the laptop rather than an IP issue. It may be worth checking the TCP/IP properties (via control panel > internet options) and setting everything to pick up the DNS addresses automatically. Alternatively you could try these DNS addresses:
ns1.plus.net: 212.159.13.49
ns2.plus.net: 212.159.13.50
google public DNS: 8.8.8.8
If that doesn't help or we're miles off the mark let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks for quick reply. My laptop is entirely Ubuntu which does not have a control panel (Windows only). It does have a Network Configuration drop down which allows for DHCP to be automatic but also has a list of DNS addresses on a tab. These show 192.168.1.1 which is PN and does not seem to allow for adding others. Recently I was advised by PN that these are now applicable:-    PN1  212.159.6.9  PN2  212.195.6.10. I will try to insert these and if they fail the ones that you now specify.  It is all still working fine just now. All very mysterious!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

192.168.1.1 is the router before it goes anywhere, click on that and you should get a sub menu to change the dns
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: colintivy
Thanks for quick reply. My laptop is entirely Ubuntu which does not have a control panel (Windows only). It does have a Network Configuration drop down which allows for DHCP to be automatic but also has a list of DNS addresses on a tab. These show 192.168.1.1 which is PN and does not seem to allow for adding others. Recently I was advised by PN that these are now applicable:-     PN1  212.159.6.9   PN2  212.195.6.10. I will try to insert these and if they fail the ones that you now specify.  It is all still working fine just now. All very mysterious!!

192.168.1.1 is the router. How is the XP machine configured? If that is also using the router I'm baffled, if it isn't configuring Ubuntu to bypass the router should sort it out.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)