cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding answers to my connectivity problems?

brennanthurston
Grafter

Finding answers to my connectivity problems?

Hi guys,

having enjoyed a couple of weeks of great internet connectivity, it's back!

The drop in/drop out fun is back and as bad as it was a month ago.

I told you about the tons of WiFi options (connections by other providers) I am being offered, beginning with another Plusnet access, BT, EE, TalkTalk AND a "hidden access".....

This morning I get two connections, mine and the hidden access and my connection is awful.

I thought rather than describing the problem I'll take a photo (screenshot didn't work with it) and upload it. This may help to sort my problems out

Jule

Quick edit/update: the hidden access disappeared a couple of minutes ago and everything is fine again. Only my Plusnet and two TTs......Can we sort this one out?

3 REPLIES 3
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Finding answers to my connectivity problems?

I assume this is a screenshot of your laptop etc, it's a report from IT's wifi modem telling you what networks are available or visible to it, this hidden network and others will come and go as you and other people move around, if you don't want to use them just ignore them.  Are you running windows ? what version ?

You are connected to the Pnet modem as it clearly shows, this is not a Pnet problem as far as I can see.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
brennanthurston
Grafter

I know all of that.

What I am trying to say (and no, it's not a screenshot, it's an actual photo since screenshot doesn't work with this info for some reason) is that as soon as this hidden network comes up, my internet connection simply gives up hence this might be something to do with my massive problems.

And: No, I don't agree. It very much IS a Plusnet problem if their signal isn't strong enough to keep up with other network providers.

Jule

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Looking at your posts from a month ago I strongly suspect your problem may be wifi related, possibly your device running whatever software is switching between available networks or something nearby is on the same channels as your modem and or it is poorly positioned in relation to your device.  If you know how to change the modems channel this may help avoid nearby inteferers as is re-positioning it or changing it's antenna positions.  Finally if all else fails and both the modem and device you are using have Ethernet ports you can bypass the wifi altogether by connecting them together via an Ethernet cable and turning off the device's wifi interface.

It is very common to have to juggle with wifi especially if you live in an area with lots of such devices, as I said it seems you have wifi problems rather than broadband problems, all wifi modems conform to the same specification and have the same signal strength.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!