cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally managed a BT speedtest!

Tsonga
Grafter

Finally managed a BT speedtest!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5344 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4058 kbps

Is this good?
I am wondering why I am not getting 5344 kbps(DOWN-STREAM) as this is my connection rate.
Thank you very much for any comment!  Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Finally managed a BT speedtest!

Bedtime reading! Smiley
link:speed
Your IP Profile is set based on your connection speed.  I think I've explained quite well in that link though.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: BlueRhizome
Is this good?

Yes, nothing wrong with that.
Have a look at Kitz www.kitz.co.uk and run the speed checker (Broadband Availability Checker on home page); it gives an approximate prediction of your expected maximum sync speed. Unless it says much more (7 to 8Mb) your connection is fine.
greyposter
Grafter

For me it's as expected.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7360 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4853 kbps
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Bedtime reading! Smiley
broadband speed faults how to diagnose
Your IP Profile is set based on your connection speed.  I think I've explained quite well in that link though.

You may have gathered by now that I am on the lazy side, which is why I spend far too much time on this forum!
PlusNet are providing me with an added benefit: the ideal procrastination tool! And it's free!  Wink
Tsonga
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: BlueRhizome
Is this good?

Yes, nothing wrong with that.
Have a look at Kitz www.kitz.co.uk and run the speed checker (Broadband Availability Checker on home page); it gives an approximate prediction of your expected maximum sync speed. Unless it says much more (7 to 8Mb) your connection is fine.

Apparently my line length is 2.97 km
dslMAX 6688 kbps
IP Profile 5500 kbps
adsl2+ 8640 kbps
Throughput 7646 kbps
Well, 5000 kbps would be nice, but I'll settle for 4000 kbps.
The reason I am asking is that before the storms I was getting 4700 kbps on the PN speedtester. It has now dropped rather a lot!  Smiley
PS: BT & Kitz don't seem to agree on my ip profile. One says 4500 kbps and the other 5500 kbps.  Huh
HPsauce
Pro

There is a big caveat, which I hope you read, about line conditions etc. - sounds like your conditions are not that good and what you've got is all you're likely to get TBH.  Undecided
(Kitz just gives a "best conditions" estimate - BT is the reality!)
Tsonga
Grafter

I wonder why my conditions are not that good considering the type of area I live in, but never mind...
It looks like my noise margin has gone up from 6dB to 7dB since all the disconnections due to the wind, which is a pity, because I was finally achieving excellent line stability with noise margins varying between 4dB and 6dB. I had a whole week without any disconnections and never had to wait for a page to load.
Do you know if my noise margin will eventually go back down?
Also, if I get disconnected while I am away on holiday next month, does that mean that I will return to find a ridiculously high noise margin, and ridiculously low speeds?
Huh
HPsauce
Pro

I think you've got the noise margin thing the wrong way round......
6dB is a normal minimum (mine varies around 9dB so I'm fine) and 4dB is likely to cause problems as the line is probably running too fast and will be prone to errors.
I'll let someone who knows better explain or point at the relevant article.......
James
Grafter

Hi Blue Smiley
The change in noise margin could have a slight impact on your speeds.  for every 3dB increase, you'll generally see a decrease in connection speed of about 800Kbps.  The noise margin may decrease slightly over time if your line conditions improve.
I wouldn't worry too much about going on holiday.  It should be just the same when you get back.
Tsonga
Grafter

Thanks James!
T'would be a pity to spend my holiday worrying about the status of my router back in rainy England! Grin
James
Grafter

I'm silly like that.  I spent most of mine worrying about work!