cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter experience

kdiment
Rising Star

Filter experience

I moved house a few weeks ago and PN arranged for a landline and broadband to be available in the our new home. After some initial problems all was fine although I was a little disappointed to find that the 7.5Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up speeds were no better than in the previous house in spite of now being much closer to an exchange. When some new furniture arrived I found the old filter projected too far out of the phone socket to allow a bookcase to go where I wanted. I had some other filters that took up much less room so changed to one of those. A speed test today shows 21.29Mbps down and 0.82Mbps up. What a difference, just by changing the filter! Who needs fibre?

3 REPLIES 3
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Filter experience

21Mbps is a pretty decent speed for ADSL2+ considering it has a max of 24Mbps but are you actually getting that?

The BT Speedtest shows I am getting 480Mbps on a line capped at 80Mbps Cheesy

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The thing I found with the original filters supplied by Plusnet (DSL 4122002) was that plugging IN (not OUT) a filter caused the ADSL line to drop. I switched over to using my old TalkTalk supplied D-Link (DSL-35MF) filters.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @kdiment

Thanks for getting in touch.

It's rare that filters go wrong, but not unheard of - static build up around a filter's connector is more common and can cause similar issues. Given that you would almost certainly have cleared any static when you removed the filter from your existing phone socket to move it into the new one, I'd have to assume that the filter was indeed faulty.

I'm glad that you had a spare and that your speed is now as expected.

If there's anything else that you need, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Wishes,

Dave