Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre

faite
Dabbler

Fibre

Hi,
I've just had fibre installed and would like advice. I have originally been running an Asus DSL-N66U which attains a stable 51mbps connection, with very little fluctuations. However if I install the BT provided ECI B-Focus modem, speedtests will result in 70mpbs, however downloads are erratic and will go from 70 down to 2 and anything in between.
Can anyone please advise me on what is causing this? I have no idea what the ECI has synced at but I presume it is more than 70.
Although I am pleased with 51mbps, I would of course love the extra speed if its possible from the ECI.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre

Hi faite,
Before running any tests for you, can you confirm what is connected at your end at the moment please?
faite
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
It's the ECI.
Regards.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the information. Here's your line details:
Sync:
Downstream Speed: 75.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 18.2 Mbps
That seems fine, however, the line is showing quite a few errors, which could be caused by the hardware or by the swapping of the ECI to the Asus a few times?
My advice would be to leave the ECI in for a few days and we can take another look and if it's showing similar to what it is now, I think we'll need to get the line looked at by our suppliers.
faite
Dabbler

I did a couple times to rerun the same tests. Asus achieved a constant speed (synced at 54), ECI much less but speedtests and multithreaded downloads will hit 70+, single file downloads are erratic.
I'm also unable to run the BT wholesale checker for further diagnostics;
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would you mind if we kept the ECI connected for a few days and I'd happily test the line again to see how it's performing?
faite
Dabbler

Yes that's fine.
Thanks.