cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre wireless speed

smfourmy
Hooked

Fibre wireless speed

Hi there first post so please be kind, just wanted to know other users wireless speeds.
Am getting 75mps on ethernet but only 25-30mps on wireless.
Signal and channel is good, contacted plusnet who sent out new router which is giving even lower speeds (10-12mps) and different speeds with 2 different red ethernet cables although ethernet direct speed is still 75mps .
Have now gone back to original router and put in new ticket but would like to know if I am getting 75mps wired what speed can I expect wireless ?
Thanks in advance Stuart
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre wireless speed

Hi smfourmy and welcome to the forums Smiley
It is the case that speeds obtained over wireless will never be the same as ethernet. We have observed speeds of between 30 and 50mb over wireless with that router. To dispell a common misconception (in case you made this assumption) the speeds you see over wireless for each device would not be shared between other devices in case that's a concern (i.e if a laptop connected at 30mb over wifi then a further 2 connected that wouldn't mean 10mb for each).
To get the most out of a wireless connection it's best to look at what local conditions might be affecting it. The main think I tend to advise is to dowload inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ use that to check which wireless channels have the least (or maybe even no) local traffic detected and go for those.
Hope that helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
smfourmy
Hooked

Hi Adam,
Am using channel 1 which I have checked isn't used with an app  (have a mac) the signal strength is 99-100% but what worries me is the difference in speed of two technicolour routers  surely they should be the same ie same channel same position same computer and wireless card and why the 2nd router gave me 45mps and then dropped to 12mps I think something isnt right in the hardware
Stuart
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I assume that you're using the Technicolor PN supplied router. Correct? I & many others had exactly the same problem. There are numerous threads on here complaining that as a wireless router it's absolutely useless & not fit for purpose. Embarrassed I gave up & spent £70.00 on an Asus RT-N56U dual band router. I'm seeing absolutely no wireless loss with the 5 Ggz signal 1 floor & 3 rooms away. Save yourself a load of heart ache & bite the bullet, you'll not regret it. Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

are you able to check and tell me what firmware version each of those routers have? (i.e along with which one is achieving which speeds)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: smfourmy
have a mac

Inssider is available for OS X
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
smfourmy
Hooked

Will check when I get home Adam,
Ok thanks Jelv will try that as well
@ tijara33 hope I dont have to spend more but thanks for the info
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I found that walking around the house with the laptop running inssider it found more networks. I've now picked a channel not used by any of them. For some reason the majority were on channel 11.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
smfourmy
Hooked

@ Adam
Have checked and both routers are software version 8.C.M.0
First router 25.54 mps download, 14.64mps upload 20.50 ping
second router 15.6 mps download 8.89 upload 28 pin but signal seems a lot more stable tonight
Stuart
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Is your <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml">wireless channel</a> on both routers the same?
smfourmy
Hooked

Hi Chris,
Yes both on channel 1.
It appears reading through this forum that the supplied router is not up to the job,I cant see the point of 75mps wired if the router can only handle 30-35mps when the conditions are 100% perfect and below 20mps most of the time.
When I was with another provider I was quoted 8mps and got 7mps 85% of  the time
I think plusnet need to invest in supplying decent hardware that produces the speeds other bought routers achieve otherwise how can customers recommend your service ?
Stuart