cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre users......help plse

sticksman
Grafter

Fibre users......help plse

Switched to fibre yesterday, my current line speed is shown as 36.8mb but I am getting only 10mb at my ipad and PC. It is no faster hard-wired than over wifi. Is this normal? does it take time to build up speed? Your experiences would be of interest as I don't want to complain unecessarily but neither am I happy with the switch to fibre.
13 REPLIES 13
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre users......help plse

How far are you from the cab ?
30FTTC06
Pro

Or what does this say http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
sticksman
Grafter

The BT engineer checked the speed and said it was pretty much max, ie near 40mb at the infinity box.
30FTTC06
Pro

What package are you on ?
This made me laff http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/default.aspx USELESS for me, way off.
30FTTC06
Pro

Unless your going to respond I can't help you, but first you need to show me some figures from a wired test!
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
picbits
Rising Star

It could also be that your profile needs updating manually at Plusnet Towers - sometimes this doesn't happen automagically.
You will need to pop up your test results as per above though for that issue to be spotted.
sticksman
Grafter

BT wholesale speedcheck gave 60.57 down and 5.00 up. The availabilty checker gave 29 mb. Thanks
30FTTC06
Pro

I assume you have a 40/20 connection.
Quote from: sticksman
The BT engineer checked the speed and said it was pretty much max, ie near 40mb at the infinity box.

You said your profile is 36.8mb.
my current line speed is shown as 36.8mb

I can only assume that you have a long ish line and are getting about 29/5 which to me makes sense!
but you then say you are getting 60.57 down from the BT wholesale test which makes no sense at all.
BT wholesale speedcheck gave 60.57 down and 5.00 up.

As DomS has stated maybe your profile is incorrect which means you will have to wait until monday unless some kind member of staff is around and could take a look.
sticksman
Grafter

I phoned support and they said my profile is set at 36.8 and the speed will eventually increase over the next 10 days as BT balance the line....is this what other new fibre users have experienced and how long is it before there is a speed increase over adsl?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Sorry, in respect of FTTC, this is wrong.  FTTC runs on an open profile for 48 hours after which the line speed is set and the DLM will manage the line for stability thereafter.  You are still within that 48 period.
Some of the postings on here are a bit confusing.
...my current line speed is shown as 36.8mb but I am getting only 10mb at my ipad and PC. It is no faster hard-wired than over wifi.

Is 36.8Mbps that which is reported in the PlusNET portal?  What test tool was being used to obtain the 10Mbps report?  I take it that you have 3 such readings - iPad, PC over wifi and PC over Ethernet.  How did you ensure that the latter test was actually over Ethernet and not over wifi?  It would be dangerous to presume that just because a cable was plugged in, the test ran over the cable and not wifi... unless to took specific caution to ensure it was.
BT wholesale speedcheck gave 60.57 down and 5.00 up. The availabilty checker gave 29 mb. Thanks

Well,that is very different from 36.8Mbps and 10Mbps.  Given that the speed test runs on the PC, that is the speed which the PC must be seeing.
Reading between the lines, I would suspect that the 10Mbps speeds are all wifi - which is a different issue.
Can you please confirm that the BT Wholesale test was run on the PC whilst connected by Ethernet with the wifi interface turned off.
Can you please recheck the PlusNET portal speed, as that must have changed to deliver the 60.57Mbps speed test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sticksman
Grafter

I have re-run the wholesale test , wifi disabled, 10.45 down, 6 up.
The availability is now 23 impacted, 29 clean,
Plusnet have my connect speed at 36.8.
They say it will take 10 days....... Where do I go from here?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Where did the 11:14 test results come from?
Is anything else running on your network?  Disconnect everything from the router except the PC, turn off the wifi on the router.
Reboot your PC and retest.  Double check the PC to ensure there is nothing in the back ground running - P2P, file sharing, software updates... etc.
Such variable speed test results seems very strange.  As a point of reference, run the think broadband speed test and see what that reports.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sticksman,
After reviewing your account I can see that the speed profile is indeed set correctly based on the speeds we see you synchronised which equates to the 38.6mbps you can see on the portal so this seems perfectly fine.
After running the tests to check the profiles it has flagged that you may be seeing an unstable connection. It appears that you have a a lot of errors ongoing at present which could be causing issue (although it hasn't been picked up by the DLM) so I'm going to raise this as a fault for you now. I'm unsure if this will have any effect on the speed issue you're seeing however this definitely needs raising to BTW.
You should see a support ticket pop up on your account shortly to pick this up and work through the fix.