Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade - new router needed?

Iceax123
Dabbler

Fibre upgrade - new router needed?

Morning all,
I have upgraded my connection last week to Fibre and im having a few issues on Wi-fi connection.
If im hard wired into the router i can get 70mb down and 17/18 up, where as if i'm on wifi this drops to
20ish down and 14 up.
Now i understand im going to get some loss but surely not this much. I'm not loosing signal strength
and suffer poor speeds even in the same room as the router.
I have used wifi analyser to check for other channels (and tried all on the router)
Im awaiting for a replacement router to be sent but i don't think this will
cure it as i borrowed another one last night to test on and came to the same conclusion.
Does anyone have any other suggestions, should i just purchase another (higher spec) router.
I don't mind doing this if it will help the situation but i dont want to be left out of pocket and still with 20meg connection!
Thanks in advance.
A
16 REPLIES 16
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Fibre upgrade - new router needed?

if you look around the forum you will find plenty of posts regarding the Poor  WIFI performance of the PN supplied router , i presume you are using .
a lot of people are using different makes  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Iceax123
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply, router one was PN router 2 was an older Belkin N150.
I had a quick read through the first couple of pages here but couldn't see anything that would help me.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
A
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It might be worth changing the Wireless Channel as described here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml - you may see a benefit from this if the current channel is being utilised by someone else close by.
Iceax123
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, done this on 2 routers, same issue.
Thanks
A
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Out of interest, are you using any of the features on the router such as Parental Controls?
Iceax123
Dabbler

hi Chris,
On the PN router, i plugged and played only thing changed was the channels to test.
On the belkin i did a factory reset and then just tried all the channels to test.
Thanks
A
elsinor5
Dabbler

I Have been through this since Friday when my FTTC was fitted. Almost the same results. 76 hard wired but only 35 when wireless with the laptop sitting next to the router. I did some reading and purchased a BT USB dual band dongle. Went the dual band in case I need to upgrade the router. Immediately I was getting 66 down load over the wifi. Turns out the wireless card in my 2 year old Lenovo is the issue. however on further investigation it turns out I cant just change the wireless card as Lenovo use a white list bios system.
My Issues with the PN router are somewhat different.
Iceax123
Dabbler

Thanks, this is over all devices, laptop with "g", Ipad 4, One x, Htc One.
I have tried turning off all wifi devices and tried them all individually to.
Thanks
A
Iceax123
Dabbler

Anyone got any suggestions on a better router to try?
/bangs head against wall
Thanks
A
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Iceax123
Thanks, this is over all devices, laptop with "g", Ipad 4, One x, Htc One.

The "g" is significant here and with a single device connected you are going to be limited to around half the available rate (ie 27Mbps) - it has to share the 54mbps for both directions Roll_eyes 11n can increase this to around 75Mbps. Add more active devices and the effective throughput will reduce. In addition, there are a lot of overheads to be added in to get the traffic to the right devices.
Don't know about the PN router, but some routers have problems with differently rated devices connected simultaneously and, in the worst case, limit everything to the lowest rate - 11n devices at 11g rates etc.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Iceax123
Dabbler

Thanks,
I understand how the router "may" drop to the speed of the lowest connected device.
This is why when testing i have had only my fastest device on the network.
Thanks
Andy
Iceax123
Dabbler

Sad
Angry
So another day and another 2 routers.
Here is my latest "test" results.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.82 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
As its only installed last Wednesday am i still in a "cooling off" period.
Ive now gone through 2 PN routers a Belkin and just bought a TP link 5ghz to try!

Iceax123
Dabbler

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the service itself as you're getting absolutely fine speeds with an Ethernet Cable connected.
The issue here appears to be low speeds via Wireless. Your connection between your Modem and Cabinet is a full 80/20. The problem isn't being caused by the connection itself. As you've proven that the issue is spread across different routers, have you checked that your Wireless Drivers are up to date?