Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade - download speed problem

SimonOBeirne
Dabbler

Fibre upgrade - download speed problem

Hi,
I've just had a fibre upgrade completed and the openreach engineer said that his speed test came back as 56MB / 15MB.
While I'm getting around 12-15MB on speed tests myself upload-wise, I'm only getting 5MB on download. I've run a number of tests over the last 30 mins or so (both wired and wireless) and they've all been about the same.
I've upgraded from Plusnet Extra ADSL and was getting around the same 5MB mark with that, so just wanted to check there wasn't a limit set on the download speed which might affect things?
The openreach engineer said to wait 10 days or so to see if the speed increased, but I've read that isn't really necessary on fibre?
Any suggestions?
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre upgrade - download speed problem

Hopefully just needs Plusnet to update your profile (shown as 'Current Line Speed' in the member centre): https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SimonOBeirne
Dabbler

Ah yeah, you're absolutely right:
Current line speed:
5.4 Mb
Cheers - I hadn't seen that page on the members area!
SimonOBeirne
Dabbler

Just spoken to support, apparently its an automated process which resets the speed once plusnet have been notified by openreach that the line has been upgraded.
Hopefully speed will increase by the end of the day!
houlton23
Grafter

To be honest I'd be ringing back and getting them to change it, they definitely can do it there and then.
Up to you really Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've manually changed your profile to the correct speed, give it 10-15 minutes and you should see the difference.
Not sure why it wasn't changed when you called in....I'll follow that up.
SimonOBeirne
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for doing that, I can see the speed has increased on that page in the members area, although I'm still only getting a max of 5MB or so download:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2840412077
Is it worth rebooting modem and/or router?
Cheers
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Yeah, try a reboot.
Log into your router first though and click disconnect, then once you've done a power cycle you can click connect.
SimonOBeirne
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Yep, after an odd DHCP issue where my laptop wasn't getting an IP address (I had to delete the existing record on the router by logging on from another machine), a reboot appears to have sorted it - nearly 52MB downstream now.
Thanks very much!
Cheers