cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre traffic shaping

Grff
Grafter

Fibre traffic shaping

After speaking to a work coleague who told me he just got 80/20 fibre installed (with Sky? I think, I rang PN to enquire if fibre was available, and was told it was,
I assumed it was the 80/20, but told it was only the 38mb.  Either way, though tit's got to be better than the 4mb i'm on now. So went ahead and got it booked for next week.
Silly me also assumed it would have the same traffic shaping that I get now (as in none).
But after seeing the speed restrictions page, it's looking like I'm going from having everything running at line speed, to pretty much nothing other than web browsing and email running at line speed.  The two things that aren't really a problem running at my current 4mb speeds.
Even things like gaming seems to be limited. Yes I know gaming isn't about the download speeds, but I can't understand why restrict that. I'm hoping latency is going to be better on fibre than my 10ms when gaming at the moment.
Download sites are restricted to 1mb too. Hopefully I don't have to rebuild anyones PC on an evening and do a simple task such as install any windows updates.
Maybe i'm reading too much into it, but it seems odd that there's slower connections with no restrictions, then on a faster connection costing more, they slow everything other than browsing down.
Before anyone thinks i'm complaing about p2p and dodgy dealings, I work in IT so do far more than web browsing, which I'm hoping isn't all going to be slowed down by the traffic shaping the fibre connection seems to have.
I see pages like this bt openreach one http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/at-home/ and think it all sounds great, and then I see plusnet's traffic management page and can't help thinking "hmmm".  Particularly when I'm then into an 18month contract.
Has anyone come accross any issues with the trafic shping on the fibre? Or has it all been fine for what they typically use it for?
Also, are plusnet planning to roll out the 80/20? I saw something in another forum post that hints at trials or something?
Cheers
Carl
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre traffic shaping

You can add a pro option for an extra £5 a month which will let everything run at line speed.
The 80/20 is currently a trial, which when you have fibre installed you can join if you wish.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
David_W
Rising Star

You can have Fibre with no restrictions if you add the Pro addon (I think it's an extra fiver a month).
To get the 80/20 trial, head over to here Smiley
Grff
Grafter

Ah ok. Thanks for the info.
The guy on the phone mentioned nothing of traffic shaping, or a pro addon being available.  He simply said it was £x for xgb, and £x for 120gb.
I think run for a month or two and see if I use anywhere near the 120gb, and if not, will drop it to the £16 and add the pro add on if the traffic shaping causes me issues.
Assuming I can drop it like the guy on the phone said I could. 🙂
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Griff,
You can change to a different product as long as you keep it for at least 1 billing month.
Jojo Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Griff
I'm hoping latency is going to be better on fibre than my 10ms when gaming at the moment.

Why would you think that?  10ms is a really good latency for gaming.  Latency is more a measure of the quality of your bb connection than your speed realistically.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Grff
Grafter

Sorry Kelly, a slip of the keyboard,  Roll_eyes  Meant to put 100.  I'd love a response time of 10ms.  Grin
i've always previously had at least 100ms, quite often more when gaiming.
Although I did a ping test on my lapptop to bbc over the weekend and was getting around 50ms, so something has improved somewhere along the line i'm hoping, at least in that test.
Anyway, I did a check on my post code on plusnet's site, and the got;

Also, BT claim;
BT Total Broadband BT Total Broadband - (Estimated speed: 3.5Mb) - Now
BT Infinity Superfast fibre optic broadband - 55.1Mb download - 18.0Mb upload - 30-June-2012
Now i'm confused, and wondering if someone is still coming out on Friday to install something?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Griff,
Thanks for your time on the phone. Sorry it wasn't good news.
Jojo Smiley
Grff
Grafter

Thanks for taking a look for me Joanne.
No harm done on the incorrect info.  I'll just have to wait a while before I get my fibre. Hopefully BT get their rears in gear and upgrade my exchange shortly.. 🙂

Thanks
Carl
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your understanding, Carl. I've passed the feedback on to make sure incorrect expectations aren't given in the future regarding this. Smiley