cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to wifi speeds

StigB

Fibre to wifi speeds

Hi all
If my Sky On Demand TV downloads over 802.11n wireless at 54mbps, is it worth me upgrading my 16Mb ADSL+ to 60Mb? I was worried that it would make no difference as it would bottleneck at the wireless router. However, I think this is because I was getting my MB and Mb muddled up. My reasoning is:
MB = MegaBytes; used to measure STORAGE with 1 byte = 8 bits
Mb = Megabytes; used to measure transfer speed, so when comparing wifi and internet speeds the units are indeed the same.
Therefore an advertised 60Mb internet speed is just over the 802.11n maximum speed of 54Mbps and you don't need to divide either of the numbers by 8!
I do appreciate that the 54Mbps wifi speed is nominal and probably won't happen in the real works due to walls, phones and people...
Am I correct, or just more confused than I thought?!
Cheers
Steve
6 REPLIES 6
gnicholson8
Grafter

Re: Fibre to wifi speeds

your close but a little off. (think a typo you used Megabytes twice)
Your current ADSL+ is at 16Mbps (Megabits per second) (8 bits - 1byte)
Your wireless is at 54Mbps (megabits per second)
Fibre at 60Mbps (would be 6Mbps faster than what your wifi can share at) BUT being on fibre would make your usable wifi speed go from 16Mbps to 56Mbps.
Remember the following
Megabyte (symbol MB, sometimes abbreviated as Mbyte)
Megabit (symbol Mb, sometimes also used Mbit)
8 bits make a byte.

Also, for less than £60 you could upgrade your router to one more than capable of providing the full speed via wireless (ie a 5Ghz model with a 300Mbit bandwidth)
StigB

Doh, yes, the second statement (Mb) should have read Megabits! Thanks for the help, really useful - and fast  Wink
gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: StigB
Doh, yes, the second statement (Mb) should have read Megabits! Thanks for the help, really useful - and fast  Wink

No problem. in my opinion I think you could see a great improvement from Fibre (especially since the price differences are so little)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

You're close but a little off. Wink
Quote from: gnicholson8
.....  (8 bits - 1byte)
9 bits make a byte.

Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Cheers bro, changed.
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Avoidance of swear filter removed as per forum rule.
dick:quote
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's 802.11G that is 54Mbps but that's simplex and in practice it will only deliver ~ 24Mbps tops and less if there is interference or over a long or obstructed path.

802.11N can use more than a single channel and is rated 150, 300 and even 450Mbps and good kit under decent conditions will deliver well over FTTC speeds. More typically you'll have kit classed as 150Mbps and it might deliver 30-40Mbps if you're lucky.
WiFi unless the kit is good is more for convenience than performance and won't deliver anywhere near the speed you can get using ethernet cable.