cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds

sparkalfa
Grafter

Fibre speeds

I am considering upgrading to fttc but I am unsure about the speeds. Currently I have a good adsl connection 18mb sync speed but when I look at fibre it says an estimated speed of 30mb I would of thought I could get more the that basing it on the adsl speed
Or does it not work the same way
Thanks
Mark
3 REPLIES 3
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre speeds

Hi Mark,
FTTC works a little differently to ADSL.
The distance between your FTTC Cabinet and your property is the main factor here. Ad FTTC uses a higher frequency it means that the speeds can drop considerably over quite a short distance.
More information on this can be found here: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
sparkalfa
Grafter

I see but I am only 0.5km from cabinet so 'should' get closer to 60 meg  curiously I am actually closer to the exchange but due to the way the cabinets are laid out it is further away
amcclean
Rising Star

I am 600m from cab by both routes through our estate and I am on 30 ish so your 30 might be right.
I guess there must be a fair amount of extra cable hidden somewhere along the line to give me the speed I get when I compare it to the speeds on the link page.
podman