cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed suddenly dropped using usenet

mrorange26

Fibre speed suddenly dropped using usenet

The last 2 days my speeds on usenet have dropped from 80meg to 30meg.I was wondering why.
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre speed suddenly dropped using usenet

Have you just seen that issue with usenet or is it a speed issue in general? running a test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ should help to confirm that.
The reason I've asked is that I can see you have a fault ticket open at the moment which you raised on Friday.
Let me know what a speed test is showing at the moment and we'll see if we need to proceed with that fault ticket for you.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrorange26

Do you traffic manage usenet as my speeds have been fine until the last few days and they have dropped from 80mb to 20mb on usenets but normal stuff like downloading a game demo its fine.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
No we don't - I've passed some feedback on about the ticket on your account following your call yesterday evening, sorry about that. While the traffic is lower priority, all that means is it'll be slowed down *if other higher priority traffic is being used*.
It may well depend on the usenet server you're connecting to and the number of connections your client is making - does increasing the connections increase the speed? Do you have another server you could try, to see if that improves things?
mrorange26

So I have a friend who is a BT fibre engineer.He done test on the line today and said there is stray voltage on the line probably down to a wet joint on a poll.He told to escalate fault to get a engineer out.
gofaster
Rising Star

???How can a wet joint tell whether you are using usenet or doing "normal stuff"
mrorange26

Actually must have been a coincidence as I tried downloading some demo games from gamershell,ausgamers etc and I was only getting 12mb.And the line is randomly noisy.And the line speeds have been fine since February,Why would they suddenly drop im not downloading anymore now than when I first got fibre.
KrisWragg
Dabbler

Are you using the BT modem or another modem/router? I'm having dropouts and speed issues since the last week and according to this forum BT have been changing firmwares on their modems in the junction boxes:
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18856&sid=acaef36930b1eb818963004f64f94efd
Seems quite a few posts on here the last few weeks so doesn't seem to be a coincidence!
mrorange26

Im using a wd n900 central router.
mrorange26

Im still using the original bt white fibre box