Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed at peak time

ricmelia
Grafter

Fibre speed at peak time

Hi,
Not sure if this is related to the other gateway / peak time issues that have been discussed over the last few weeks.
On Thursday, I moved to Fibre Unlimited (BT Profile of 77.44Mbps) from Broadband Unlimited (was getting 2.5Mbps so a nice big difference!)
Earlier today, I was able to stream this video
-GYrbecb88 in 1080p and "original" quality (which is 4K) without any buffering.
Tonight, I'm unable to stream the same video in 720p quality, let alone 1080p or "original" without it buffering literally every 2 seconds. I'm also seeing google maps load quite slowly and the various speedtest sites report a speed of about 5Mbps. There's nothing else running that would cause this. The DSL connection itself seems fine as I can currently download from usenet at at least 55Mb/s.
Is this a known issue / is there anything I need to do or try?
Thanks,
Ric
29 REPLIES 29
ricmelia
Grafter

Re: Fibre speed at peak time

Happened again last night - good speeds throughout the day for all types of use. In the evening, web slowed down to 2Mbps but the connection was good (I don't think it's dropped since it was installed.
Not had a response to my ticket since Friday afternoon (66179821)
Are other people seeing this as well? I'd be surprised if this is a fault on the line as I can still download at good speeds, it's just web traffic / youtube (which is presumably also port 80) that slows down, but do correct me if I'm wrong!
AndyH
Grafter

There is an on-going issue that PN are investigating over peak time speed slow downs (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.msg962663.html#msg962663)
Have you tied running speed tests at various times of the day to compare performance? Which exchange are you on?
ricmelia
Grafter

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I had seen the latency thread but not Kelly's post about wireshark. I'll give that a go tonight.
I haven't been able to do lots of tests throughout the day as I've not been in much over the weekend, but in general, it's great in the morning and bad in the evening. I'm on Haslemere exchange - don't appear to be any current issues http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Haslemere&exact=460
Ric
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
I think there was another user on your exchange with peak time slow down issues. It seems to be some form of congestion.
The thing to do is post speed test results/pathping (Start > Run > Cmd > pathping bbc.co.uk) and the wireshark results on the above forum post link when the slow downs happen. The more data/info PN get, then hopefully they can escalate it with BT.
ricmelia
Grafter

Support have replied to my ticket and asked me to connect directly to the modem so that we can rule out the router being the problem.
Whilst this may be useful, is it even a possibility considering that when I got a BTW speedtest result of 5Mb, I was able to connect to usenet at 65Mb?
I would have though the wireshark / pathping tests are of more use?
AndyH
Grafter

It's standard procedure to rule out a router failure. You need to do this as part of the fault process.
The other diagnostics are useful for PN (Kelly) if there is no problem your end.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Whilst this may be useful, is it even a possibility considering that when I got a BTW speedtest result of 5Mb, I was able to connect to usenet at 65Mb?

Do you know how many threads you had ongoing on Usenet?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Ricmelia:
I presume you weren't downloading from Usenet while doing those speedtests?   (It shouldn't matter based on the Traffic Management but I want to rule that out.
How many threads to you have running on the Usenet download?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
ricmelia
Grafter

Chris, Kelly, thanks for the replies.
To answer your questions:
No, nothing else was running when I ran the speedtests and they were from a wired computer.
I think it's set to 10 threads on usenet - I thought I'd try something other than web as I could see from the profile on the BTW speed test that sync was still 77Mb (I think it has been since my order completed) - must admit I was surprised as I expected everything to be slow but it does seem as though it's just web traffic that suffers at peak time. It's actually slightly slower than when I was on ADSL Smiley
I noticed when it was slow, the ping on speedtest.net is >50ms -  when the connection's ok it is 10ms.
I can also try some other protocols if that would be of any use? I can easily give FTP a go.
I'll try streaming that video with Wireshark on and I'll give pathping a go tonight before going directly via the modem (that might have to wait til tomorrow). I'll also try in the morning before work tomorrow, I'm pretty sure everything's ok then.
If there's anything else you need to know or other tests I can try for you, please let me know.
Thanks,
Ric

Kelly
Hero

Get me wiresharks of what's going on.
Do a speedtest that is showing slow speeds and wireshark it.  Get separate wireshark of a 1080p Youtube video that is buffering on its down.  THen get a wireshark of a usenet download when you were seeing the slow downs.
I suspect they will be quite useful.
Have a bit of a play with some other stuff.  FTP, single threaded usenet. 
Kelly Dorset
Blim
Grafter

Last night I found UK speedtest.net servers would give a bad score and downloading from steam wasnt great too but doing test in France from speedtest.net was fine. And bt speedtest thing was okish too.
Try that next time and see if you see the same thing. I dunno what it means but its very strange I couldnt get full speed from uk servers.
ricmelia
Grafter

Haven't had a chance to do the useful tests tonight, but here are some quick speed test results:
6:30 - 35Mb down / 17 up
8pm - 5Mb / 17 up
22:15 - 2.8Mb  / 13.5 up - Usenet still at 65Mb+
Have just downloaded and installed Wireshark. It downloaded at 25kbps... FTP downloads at a similar speed.
I'll try to get the WIreshark captures sorted tomorrow.
ricmelia
Grafter

[double post]
Kelly
Hero

Can you do a btspeedtest.  Don't reconnect.
Kelly Dorset