Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed at modem not being achieved via router

jonnyfriendly
Grafter

Fibre speed at modem not being achieved via router

Hi
Had Plusnet value fibre (up to 38 mbs) installed yesterday using a technicolor router. Distance from cabinet approx. 500 metres.  Bt engineer checked modem speed and said i was getting 40mb and should have no problem obtaining high speeds.
Having connected the technicolor i am only achieving around 19mbs down. Can anyone tell why this is lower, I have no way (unless there is a hack) of checking modem speed or  also it appears from the technicolor. So am relying on speedtesters.
Is this speed to be expected at this stage or does my profile need tweaking etc. I am new to fibre and would appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance
PS  Technicolor router seems limited re access to stats or am i missing something
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Fibre speed at modem not being achieved via router

Have you checked your Current Line speed (Login required) this should match the IP Profile for the Line shown by the BT Speedtester (Diagnostics)
jonnyfriendly
Grafter

HI
Thanks for quick response. Current line speed is showing at 21mb. Cannot access BT diagnostics test from my mac at the moment (maybe problems with mac browsers, will try again later)
Could the 21mb curent line speed from the exchange be referring to adsl 2 and not fibre which should be higher ?
Also, if i manage to access the BT tester. I presume i test fibre to the property, not the cabinet. or do i do both?
j
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Current line speed is almost certainly the problem.
The BT test wouldn't have gone via the Plusnet system
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jonnyfriendly
Also, if i manage to access the BT tester. I presume i test fibre to the property, not the cabinet. or do i do both?

No, use the ADSL / FTTC diagnostic.  You really want to know the BT line profile (which should indicate your sync speed - profile + about 3%).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that it's not working as it should, if you could post the result from the test above we'll see what we can do. In the mean time I've just changed your profile on our side which will hopefully make a difference - please let us know.
jonnyfriendly
Grafter

Thanks Matt
Something appears to have happened. I restarted the router am am now getting around 30mbs down.
Have managed to get line profile from tech support which is 37mbs. Cant access synch speed via BTspeedtester - there appears to be a problem running this test on a mac.
I assume that the 30mbs may rise a little over time - im on day 2
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you got Java Runtime Environment installed for the BT Speedtester?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's a lot more like the speeds you should be getting, your line will train it's self and identify it's ideal speed, so this can jump up and down a little at the start. So i would just monitor for a few days and see what it settle's down at.