Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre/router positioning

AxeMurderer
Grafter

Fibre/router positioning

I have ordered Fibre...
However, I need to figure out what my options are for positioning the kit.
At the moment the BT master socket is on a windowsill in an upstairs bedroom. From this, an extension cable goes outside the house, and re-enters downstairs. My current broadband and phone both run off this downstairs extension.
There is no electrical socket within useful range of the master socket (for plugging in the Fibre modem OR the router).
I understand installation can include a data cable; can that go outside the house and back in again like the current phone extension? Or put another way, will the BT engineer be prepared to drill holes through my walls?
15 REPLIES 15
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre/router positioning

HI AxeMurderer,
The engineer will fit, upon request, a data extension kit of up to 30m. I'm quite sure he will endeavour to locate it wherever you want within that range. Does it go outside and back in for convenience or is there no other physical way it can go?
Jojo Smiley
AxeMurderer
Grafter

It is much easier to route it outside. Otherwise it gets into lifting floorboards/making holes in ceilings and still doesn't end in such a convenient location.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi AxeMurderer,
best thing to do is have a word with him. They're normally quite accommodating.
Jojo Smiley
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

If an existing extension cable is already in place can that be used? Fully appreciate the issue of it being fit-for-purpose but, to take an example from my own setup, I have a dedicated hardwired Cat5e cable running from my master socket (rear of faceplate) to a secondary socket under the stairs and this is where my current modem lives. Could this existing cable be used by the BT engineer, accepting that the master socket (and possibly secondary?) would be replaced?
Mathew
markg140
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi AxeMurderer,
best thing to do is have a word with him. They're normally quite accommodating.
Jojo Smiley

I'd like to note Joanne that today my engineer did not bring or even have a data extentsion cable even though I requested one and Plusnet confirmed yesterday he would be bringing one.

He said none of the engineers have them across the country as there is a shortage of the cable for some reason.
So hold this in mind.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

So, it appears that the data extension cable is nothing more than an RJ11 cable. There is one of these already running to/from the correct places, but: using it as a data extension cable would mean that I'd need another cable to use for the actual telephone, and the current cable is probably the cheapest/nastiest RJ11 cable that I could get ~10 years ago. It isn't a flat cable, but I doubt it is even a twisted pair either.
I'll see what the engineer can do, but there is a good chance that I'll end up running a temporary mains extension lead to the master socket, then installing my own 'data extension cable' probably made from external grade cat 5 with RJ11 plugs, then moving everything to exactly where I want it.
itsme
Grafter

Believe you are wrong about it being an RJ11 cable. From my understanding the modem will be placed beside the master socket and the data extension cable is from the modem to the router.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13751/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzA1NzcxOTY1L3NpZC9JbWl...
WWWombat
Grafter

That BT help doesn't help much!
It talks about plugging the new hub directly into the master socket. I thought the "hub" had to plug into the modem, and the modem had to go into the master socket.
Certainly they emphasise that the internal extension wiring *isn't* good enough for the Infinity, and insist it is either the master, or the data extension.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
knowdice
Rising Star

This was discussed under another topic yesterday, JoJo comfirmed that it's an extension between the master socket and the VDSL modem i.e RJ11 connectors
This video on the BT website confirms this - BT_Infinity_Installation
MJN
Pro

Quote from: knowdice
This was discussed under another topic yesterday, JoJo comfirmed that it's an extension between the master socket and the VDSL modem i.e RJ11 connectors

Using what sort of cable though? In particular, will a customer's existing cabling be considered for suitability if it meets the necessary spec?
Bottom line for me is that I don't want a BT engineer stapling cable to the top of a skirting board when I can run my own cable beforehand within the fabric of the building and so knowing what spec cable, or indeed the principle in general, is acceptable would be a great help.
This video on the BT website confirms this - BT_Infinity_Installation

Apologies if that link provides the answer - I can't view it from work.
Mathew
knowdice
Rising Star

BT's explanation is very very hazy... Sad but video does say that the modem can be located 30m away from the master socket, but...to quote video "extension cable cannot go under carpets or floors"...
They don't tell you exactly what spec the extension cable is, though it's my experience that conventional telephone cable does degrade broadband signals very rapidly.
Bear in mind that the cable from the FTTC cabinet to your house IS a just high quality twisted pair that I think is not even screened, so an extension cable of CAT5e "could" be OK, but don't expect the BT engineer to use this  Sad
dobbin
Dabbler

Definition from a computer mag. 
RJ11 telephone connector that holds up to six  wires. RJ11 is the common connector used to plug a telephone into the wall and also plug the handset into the telephone.
The BT Infinity Data Extension Kit, as far as I can see, may be of a specific quality but it telephone wire.
MJN
Pro

I think the use of the termination terminology (!) (RJ11, RJ45) has caused a bit of confusion as, as you've said, it doesn't mean anything with regards to the actual cabling.
There's telephone wire and there's telephone wire, that's why we've got standards in place to distinguish between them so the most useful piece of info I'd like to see is what standard(s) is/are acceptable and whether it has to be terminated or can be hardwired into the master socket (it is obviously hardwired at the secondary socket).
I appreciate this sort of info is of no interest to the average consumer but I am amazed it is not stated somewhere for those who it does concern!
Mathew
knowdice
Rising Star

To paraphrase MJN there is cable and there is cable....
What you are looking for is cable that is low resistance but more importantly low capacitance and with a consistent twist to the pairs...CAT5e fits the bill normal telephone cable doesn't
Could also be that BT extension cable is screened but I don't know how that would connect to earth...