Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router options

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fibre router options

I currently use the TG582n router with USB port on 21CN. If I change to a fibre service, can I still use the TG582n with configuration changes, or will I need to have a replacement?
If I can still use my current router, will the USB port still be usable (I have storage attached)?
If the router fails within the 18 month contract period, can I get a replacement free of charge?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre router options

Hi maranello,
You would need a new router to take fibre with us, it is a variant of the TG582n but it does have a USB port.
If the router fails within the 18 month contract period, can I get a replacement free of charge?

The router's have a 12 month warranty so we'd replace it within that period if it were to become faulty for some reason.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Be aware that a lot of users, myself included, have found that the PN loses speed wirelessly. I treated myself to an Asus RT-N56U.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the info/advice.
I seem to get good wireless signal  to my Samsung netbook anywhere in the house. I assume this is due to the router siting, but is it possible that later models of the router give lesser  wireless performance?
A couple of further questions, unrelated to the router, however.
Looking at the product change options, neither the essentials nor the unlimited packages (with phone) offer the discounts available to new customers, yet still require a commitment to an 18 months contract. Are there any incentives for existing customers, particularly in relation to the essential package?
Secondly, I currently only pay £4.50 for anytime calls, if I change to essential fibre will the anytime calls increase to £5.00?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
anni

I have the same questions as maranello  ;).
I am on an unlimited broadband and telephone contract.  Can I change within this time to fibre broadband?  Fibre broadband is available in my area.  And, could you please let me know the TOTAL cost of changing, eg presumably p+p for new router (I also have TG582n router) and would there be engineer/installation costs? And are existing customers eligible for the £12.99 for the first 9 months offer for unlimited fibre broadband?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With Anytime calls at £5 line rental costs £14.50, total £19.50. The old Home Phone package with Anytime calls at £4.50 goes with line rental at £14.99, total £19.49. So apart from £0.01 old and new product prices are the same. (All prices are per month.) However until renewal if Line Rental Saver applies the increased Anytime charge would cost an additional £0.50 per month.
The current discount for new customers applies only to the Unlimited packages. Existing customers considering a package change are recommended to give the Customer Options Team a call (0845 140 6002, 0330 123 9197 or via 0800 432 0200, Mon-Fri 9:00am to 8:00pm, Sat 9:00am to 5:30pm) to discuss options. Wink
Upgrading to fibre midway through an ADSL contract is permitted, but a new contract will start.

David
between1and16ch
Grafter

Interestingly, as I'm bouncing close to the 250G usage each month, I called the customer options team just now - there are no options available that don't involve at least an 18 months contract. Sad
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes, pretty sure that Fibre Unlimited has always been 18 months minimum term (even for those transferring from another PN fibre product).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gwillym
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
Be aware that a lot of users, myself included, have found that the PN loses speed wirelessly. I treated myself to an Asus RT-N56U.

Same here:
with  the PN router I was getting between 33 - 40 Mbps on FTTC. So I tried both a Netgear that I had lying around and also a TrendNet - (cheapy from local PC supplier). slight improvements, but nothing startling. But after getting some other issues with the Netgear (speed dropped after a few days and it didn't seem to handle the 7 devices I've got connected very well) - on the strength of some other comments here - I plumped for a BT Home Hub 5 (£55 from a well know auction site - bargain) - and now - wirelessly I'm getting just over 60Mbps against a profile of 63 - excellent
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Yes, pretty sure that Fibre Unlimited has always been 18 months minimum term (even for those transferring from another PN fibre product).

Ah I see thanks Sad
I'd understand if they had some sort of provisioning or equipment costs to recover by doing this, but trying to impose the same on existing customers just for a change in contract terms just says 'get lost' to me. Sad
Anyways, I'm not about to go on about it - I've looked around at what else is on offer out there, and decided I'll just see out some or all of the remainder of my year's telephone rental payment.
It's a pity - I can honestly say that PN has been a real pleasure over the time I've been with them Smiley