cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router in a non fibre area - it seems wrong??

BRABUS
Grafter

Fibre router in a non fibre area - it seems wrong??

I have been helping set up some CCTV for the cricket/football club local to my inlaws and I am now puzzled.
I noticed that they are using a 2701HGV-C as installed by BT which I thought was a fibre only router.  Now the exchange that this cricket club works from is CAERLEON and that is not fibre enabled.  How is this possible?
This is the exchange and it clearly shows that FTTC is not installed.
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fibre router in a non fibre area - it seems wrong??

Separate ADSL modem?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
BRABUS
Grafter

Thats what I thought but it is pluged directly into the BT socket via a microfilter.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm pretty sure that the 2701HGV-C is a dsl/ewan router (suitable for both direct connection to adsl or via ethernet to a modem (as for fibre)).  The old 2700HGV is getting rather long in the tooth now, I think they basically just added the ewan capability to extend its life yet further and it would make sense to use a single (current) version for all new provisions.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=24284.0 ..... and a familiar name in there Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
itsme
Grafter

If you scroll down to the picture of the back panel for the 2701HGV-C http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/108.htm you will see a DSL and WAN ports so it both a router and ADSL Router. Same as the latest BT .Homehub
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers, I have to say I didn't notice the fibre and dsl sockets on the back as its not easily accesible.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and a familiar name in there

I stand corrected Sad
In my defence, I don't think the picture was on the tripod site when I posted that.
There is no reference to a 2701 HGV-C  on the 2wire/pace site either.
I'd better go and update the idnetters post now...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BRABUS
Grafter

Well I now have 2 threads on here about the 2701HGV-C routers.  In another thread I was asking about this router working on Plus Net as I had been given a brand new one by a friend.  It wasn't until I started reading about it on line that I thought it was a cable router hence this thread.
Well I broke the seal on the router I was given.  I was worried as it clearly states BT BusinessHub: Fibre and in another area it says FTTC Business Eth Hub but not a problem, it does indeed have both a fibre and a DSL socket.  Everything you need is in the box except for the DSL cable.  The cable in the box is for the DSl socket but it has a normal phone plug on it and not the RJ11 that you need, that is the only gripe.
These are a couple of links that you may find useful.
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/161.htm

and this one shows you how to unlock router to work on Plus Net.
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/063.htm

Anyway I have now configured the router and I am flying along with GREAT and I do mean great wi-fi speeds where before I was getting rubbish.  I have just had a look at a few recent sales of these on ebay and they are selling for around "20 including postage.  so if your Thompson router dies then just get one of these.
itsme
Grafter

And can the VoIP be hacked?    http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/065.htm If so I will keep an eye on eBay. Picked up my older version 2701 for a fiver brand new.
BRABUS
Grafter

I have been reading for a couple of hours now and there is no good news yet about the VOIP so its not looking likey at present.