Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router confusion tg582n?????

Mabel
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre router confusion tg582n?????

I am considering moving to a fibre product.
I have been informed that the router that will be supplied is a TG582N
I have looked at the data sheet for this router and it states that its max download speed is

DSLModem Specifications
              ADSL2+ compliance: ITU-T G.992.5 Annex A, B
              Maximum rate: 24 Mbps for downstream and 2.5 Mbps for upstream
This can't be right!!! 24Mbps???  Far too slow for fibre - surely
This is for ADSL2+ is this what fibre would use?
I can't see another section specifically for fibre.
Confused!!

Also
What speed will the Wi-Fi work at?
      Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n 2x2 on-board -
              I don't know what this refers to, speed wise that is.

My laptop has a 300Mbps Wi-Fi card,
Will I be able to get this data transfer rate?

And why no gigabit Ethernet port?Huh
This doesn't seem to be the best choice of modem for fibre.
There must be more to it than this.

Any clarification appreciated
Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre router confusion tg582n?????

Hi there,
We do indeed provide the same router for fibre, however it's supplied with different firmware which mean that it can connect at fibre speeds.
With regards to it's wifi capability it is wireless n.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you search through the forums you'll soon discover that  the TG582N router isn't the most popular. The speed drops off very quickly with any sort of distance from the router. I've given up with mine & replaced it with an Asus RT-N56U.
Therefore I strongly advise  that when you arrange your install ask for an extension to your master socket to place it near to whichever computer you'll be using the most. It will be done FOC.
Mabel
Rising Star

Oh!!!!
Thanks for the replies.
i will be using my laptop via wi-fi most of the time.
does that mean i wont get the same line speed as i move around the house to different rooms?
Does wireless N mean my laptop will connect to the router wirelessly at 300 Mbps?
but slow down as i move further away from the router?
or do i basically need to use a cat 5e cable to get a decent speed?
I have also read that port forwarding with this router is not easy/good/possible.
I assume BT don't use this router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You may get 150Mb if you are sat on top of the router, move any distance away and the speed will drop.
For 300Mb you need a dual band router (5GHz+2.4Ghz) this will NOT do that.
Cat5 will give you a good speed, what ever you get from the BT modem.
BT supply a HomeHub 3.
Mabel
Rising Star

thanks for the info.
Looks like if i go with PN Fibre i need to buy a decent modem to go with it.

why spoil a good product with a cheep piece of tat...
ah well.
thanks for the help
itsme
Grafter

modem are you sure that you mean that?
BT provide the modem and PN the router
Mabel
Rising Star

Ops, silly me.
I blame the keyboard, can't be my mistake now can it. I never make mistakes, ask my wife 😉

yes i meant the Router.
thanks
Mabel
Rising Star

How much will a decent router cost me?
I would like to connect my laptop to it over wi-fi at 300 mbps
Access my NAS from work, so I will need to be able to configure the port forwarding
Could anyone make any recommendations?
Thanks

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since the speed form the modem=speed from router if ethernet used, interchangeable.
I use a Netgear 3500, 4 gigbit ports, wifi @300Mb and you can pick them up 2nd hand at a reasonable cost, or re-manufactured for not much more. Still witing for a 300Mb dongle to arrive to test the wifi at 5GHz, but it at-least allows it.
Chris5gd
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
We do indeed provide the same router for fibre, however it's supplied with different firmware which mean that it can connect at fibre speeds.

Just had my engineer visit this morning, and apparently the switchover to FTTC is complete.
However.  The engineer says that I've been supplied the wrong router - I have a TG582n, but there is no red label under LAN port 4, and on connecting to the modem the broadband light just flashes continuously.
I spoke to someone on the helpdesk who says that I have the wrong router, yet when I asked the specific question via the member centre, I was assured that I have the right router.
Please can someone give me a definitive answer?  I currently have a PPPoE connection direct to the modem, but no hardware firewall, and no home network.  I would really appreciate some insight on this, since I'm pretty stuck really.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

However.  The engineer says that I've been supplied the wrong router - I have a TG582n, but there is no red label under LAN port 4, and on connecting to the modem the broadband light just flashes continuously.
Oops, sounds like you've been sent the ADSL version rather than the FTTC version. The hardware is the same it's just different firmware. I'm not sure if the FTTC firmware is available anywhere to download. If not, it's possible to configure the standard ADSL version to use LAN port 4 as a WAN port. You need to be familiar
with using Telnet since the changes need to be made using the TG582s CLI.
Assuming I'm right and you've got the ADSL version, let's hope one of the Digital Care team see this and can provide a link to the FTTC firmware as that's going to be the easy way. I'll check this thread when I get home and try and sort out the necessary CLI commands if you need them. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry about that - I can see an FTTC router has been ordered today but that won't arrive until next week, so here's the link to the FTTC firmware: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/firmware/PN%20TG582n%20R8CM0%20DG%20FTTC.bin
Hope that gets things sorted for you, once it's flashed it should be fine and just work (though you may need to enter your username and password, but give it a chance to set itself up via TR-069 first as that should happen within 10 minutes or so of it being connected up).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Firmware flashing instructions and link to download flashing utility are here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I know it says for TG585 but its the same utility for the TG582n.
Let us know how it goes Chris5gd.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris5gd
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Sorry about that - I can see an FTTC router has been ordered today but that won't arrive until next week, so here's the link to the FTTC firmware: http://www.binarybob.plus.com/thomson/firmware/PN%20TG582n%20R8CM0%20DG%20FTTC.bin

Quote from: MisterW
Firmware flashing instructions and link to download flashing utility are here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I know it says for TG585 but its the same utility for the TG582n.

Great stuff, thanks Matt and MrW.
I'd found that link, and on the 2nd attempt (the first attempt failed and the util told me to recycle the power to the router), the firmware upgrade succeeded and I now seem to be all up and running.
Using http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/, I have:
Wired:  73.8 down and 15.8 up.
Wireless: 70.5 down and 15.8 up
Not bad, though I was hoping to be a bit closer to the fabled 80/20 Smiley
So far so good, thanks for your help.