Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre router & powerline adapters

robbino
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fibre router & powerline adapters

Hi,
New to PlusNet, came over from BeThere and went live on 10/4/13.
I am using the supplied Technicolor TG582n FTTC router and get 73Mb down / 15Mb up / 7 ms ping using the BT wholesale speed checker on my PC in the front room.
I have a pair of BT comtrend powerline adapters to share the broadband to my office PC (I can't run an ethernet cable).  When I run a speedtest from a PC in the office I get about 25Mb down / 8.5Mb up / 20ms ping.
Looking to upgrade the comtrends to either tp-link 500Mb (10/100) or tp-link 500Mb (1GB), what I can't find out at the moment is what speed the Technicolor router ports are, I would assume 10/100.
Is anyone else also using powerline adapters to router there fibre broadband and what sort of speed drop offs are you seeing.
I have also noticed that sometimes when going to different sites I get about a second or two delay (sometimes a timeout), if I refresh then the sites usually appear OK, this happens with different sites at different times, I was wondering if this is the initial 10 day profiling on the line.
10 REPLIES 10
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: Fibre router & powerline adapters

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/digital-home/mediaaccess/dsl/wireless/adsl/technicolor-tg582n
Yeah 10/100, never used powerline adapters so cant help you there, Do you get the delay timeouts in just the office or the front room pc as well?
robbino
Dabbler

thanks regarding the router speed.
timeouts: only been using the new connection mainly in the office so far, so not sure at the moment.  I mainly stream iplayer and lovefilm in the frontroom and that has been fine.  I'll have to do some testing. Just wanted to make sure it was nothing to do with the 10 day profiling.

JohnN

I use a D-Link,500 megabit  Powerline A-V to connect between my router, and the PlusNet supplied BT modem.
No problems, but you want to make sure that you have adaptors which can run at least at 200mbps, some Powerlink units have Gigabyte conenctions on the Ethernet side, and these are better as you don't want the Router-Modem link to be the limiting factor.  In my experience the actually data-flow is never more than 50% of the rated data flow .  I think this is largely because of the overheads of encapsulation etc.
IT is certainly more convenient having a WiFi router where it suits users and the incoming Modem close to the master socket, and not needing ugly wiring strung through my home
John
robbino
Dabbler

Thanks John for the reply.
I have been reading up on the TP-Link 500AV's and think I will go with these with the 100Mb connection as I only need them for the fibre broadband so Gb connection would be wasted.
Dhaos
Grafter

Do you lose any thoroughput with the adapters? ie if you lose 50% and you plug it into a 100MB connection you will only get 50mb from your fibre compared to a Gb connection you would get 500mb, maxing out your fibre connection.
robbino
Dabbler

There is some loss with the adapters but not a big issue if you use the 500AV's.  I have seen in other forums people reporting getting 90-120mbps using the TP-Link 500AV 100Mb, fibre is today giving me 73 Down directly connected so should be OK with a little head space.  Not sure if it is still the case but also read some people were having problems with the 1Gb version of homeplug being a bit unstable (maybe that has now been resolved now with a firmware update)
beetnik
Grafter

Hi - also a refugee from Be.
I have a couple of TP-Link 200 Mbps AV200 extenders. These are the results I get:
Cabled to router:                      72 Mbps
Remote room:
Cabled to powerline:               57 Mbps
WiFi (Asus RT-N66U):            57 Mbps
WiFi (TG582n):                       23 Mbps
Upload is fairly constant at 16/17 Mbps using whichever - as is ping at 17 ms.
Depending on your setup it may be worth you considering ditching the (next to useless) TG582n and investing in a decent router rather than powerline adadptors.
(I also have a TP-Link 300 Mbps AV200 Wireless N powerline extender - I use the cable connection but not the WiFi as it's no better than the Asus WiFi - maybe in the summer I'll try it down the garden!)
robbino
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply beetnik
I tried again from the office using the BT wholesale speedtest and get 38 Mbps Down, using speedtest.net I get 59Mbps down  Do others use BT and speedtest to measure or some other means?
Out of interest what router would you recommend beetnik?
beetnik
Grafter

I have an Asus RT-N66U - it's used by a lot of people on here and it scores highly on just about every review site.
Here's the link to the review on smallnetbuilder:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wi...
Costs around £110 (PCWorld/Currys stock it at this price) so it's not the cheapest around but the TPLinks will cost you maybe £40 and you'd still have an underperforming router.
robbino
Dabbler

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that router  Smiley