Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre provision

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Fibre provision

Quite a few weeks ago I received separate emails from BT & Plusnet inviting me to pay extra for fibre.
However, I have not seen a single powered street cabinet within 1-2 miles of my local exchange.
AFAIK The only fibre installs use Virgin Cable.
Are BT providing cabinets powered remotely?
Or something...
Or is it a load of lies...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

17 REPLIES 17
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Fibre provision

Put your telephone number in <a href="http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome">here</a>. What does it say?
VileReynard
Hero

It say:-
For Telephone Number XXXXXXXXXX on Exchange MILL HILL
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service
that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 5Mbps; typically the line speed
would range between 3.5Mbps and 7.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would
range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream
line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have
received downstream line speed of 59.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure
line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a
telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact
both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have
this service transferred.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

So the official BT Wholesale database says yes.
I'm pretty sure that FTTC cabinets are always locally powered.  Do you know the location of your telephone cabinet?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero

It ought to be the one at the bottom of the road, about 150 yards away.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you going to be ordering it then?
w23
Pro

Only if you can convince him that the cabinets actually exist, I suspect:
Quote from: A
However, I have not seen a single powered street cabinet...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Some cabs can be underground I believe.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Joanne
Are you going to be ordering it then?

Grin
Not at all sure - I put my post code into http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php and got this:-

If that speed estimate is accurate, I'd be looking at a speed of 20Mbps - not great, considering I'd suffer from:-
An installation fee - £50 I believe?
An 18 month contract
An extra £10 per month
A more vigorous traffic management policy
I know I'd gain a 120GB bandwidth allowance - but I believe I could probably revert to the old unlimited bandwidth package?
It doesn't look good.  Cry

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

As a general rule of thumb if the BT checker says yes, then that's a green light for us to place an order.
Did you know some cabinets are underground by the way?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi A Fox is Evil,
As an existing customer you'd only pay £25 installation charge. This would be free if you took home phone. And if you pop your number into the BT availability checker you'll see that they're estimating 59Mbps, which suggests you'd get the maximum on our 'up to 38Mbps' service.
Jojo Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

That sounds better.  Cheesy
Questions:-

• Would I need to convert my single mains socket near the master socket to a double socket?
    I currently use a trailing 4-way thing.

• If the speed is a lot less than 40Mbps am I allowed to revert to 6Mbps, with appropriate refunds?

Speed looks to be heavily locked down.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, it's up to you at the end of the day. There's plenty of happy fibre users out there.
w23
Pro

Quote from: A
]Would I need to convert my single mains socket near the master socket to a double socket?
I currently use a trailing 4-way thing

If you have a spare socket on the 4-way thing then the modem will be happy enough with that.
The router does not need to be in the same location (limited by the length of an ethernet lead).
I like to use a surge protected 4-way trailing socket as I assume it will protect the modem, router and other equipment plugged in.
I can't say the bandwidth management is even noticeable to me (though I don't use P2P if I can help it so wouldn't really notice anything on that.).
Call me 'w23'
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
I can't say the bandwidth management is even noticeable to me.

Agree 100% with that - haven't noticed it at all - It's got to the point where everything 'just works' Smiley
Quote from: walker23
(though I don't use P2P if I can help it so wouldn't really notice anything on that.).

Any linux iso's I download I do overnight, so don't even know how fast it goes as I'm asleep Cheesy