cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre performance almost back to ADSL2+ bandwidth

Qdos

Fibre performance almost back to ADSL2+ bandwidth

I've read on these forums in just 5 minutes that I'm not alone.
I've raised ticket after ticket with Plusnet, and spent hours in call queuing for technical support.
I'm sick to death of a company who won't get their act together and support the line products they peddle and get revenue from.
July 2013, upgraded to FTTC on an 80Mb circuit. Estimates said I would receive circa 43Mbps. My address is 700m from the cabinet. All cabling is UG.
Am using a Draytek 2850vn modem-router with the correct UK specific firmware. I have the latest VDSL mastersocket. My internal ethernet is hardwired with Cat6 cable.
I was delighted to first record actual bandwidth of 42Mbps during the first month, and I don't mean during the initial week or so alone, but by late August I noticed my line had been redefined and was capped to less.
Then the connection would drop, inexplicably.
Thus began a spate of BT engineer visits (three so far) in which my copper pairs were swapped out to obtain an "optimal" line quality.
Just yesterday a BT engineer who is an advanced technician affirmed my line tested perfectly, but he suspected that my connection was affected by one or more of the following possible factors...
I wasted four hours of my time to accommodate him. The BT guy wanted to try the OR (Huwei) modem and Technicolor TG something router. I said go ahead. Both those units were sealed in their original cellophane. After two hours furtively trying out various combinations of equipment he concluded he wasn't savvy enough to manage it. I tried bridging the OR modem to my Draytek after he'd left, it took me 2 minutes, but made no difference to my line performance.
1) REIN (electrical interference)
2) A poor DSLAM port at the local exchange
3) Substandard wiring* between the final BT UG DP and my mastersocket
Within 24h of the engineers visit my line sync' maximum has fallen still further to 24.19Mbps.
Plusnet ignore support tickets.I've found you can openly say you'd like a MAC code, even threaten court action, and it doesn't get noticed.
I dread to tote up the hours wasted on hold for a Plusnet support agent.
I further dread the fact that any two support agents will contradict each other.
What I really despise is the fact that they all fob me off.
If the line bottoms out any further at all I might as well have stayed with ADSL+ 20CN.
Should anyone from Plusnet care to flip-by this post then there's a ticket open, 77606375.
Since July I've become jaundiced and have lost all faith in my iSP. I've heard all the excuses and nonsense imaginable.
At times I was able to get through to Plusnet that is.
I've lost three days salary to accommodate BT engineers at Plusnet's behest. All, so far, pointlessly.
I'm suspecting that self-inflicted alopecia is just around the corner.
By posting here I'm making a last ditch attempt to circumvent the usual BS which I'm given and shame Plusnet into maintaining my connection properly.
Oh, and the asterisk by the wiring mention above, I should perhaps explain. I live in a building that was purpose erected as nothing but riverside flats. The incoming cable terminates in a roof void area of the building which I've no access to. The internal wiring is thin stuff, not the quality I'd like to have seen. In the building there are also intercoms and call alarm systems using pairs potentially lying adjacent to my line pair. Even in the same sheathing. This is, however, only the final 25 metre leg of the 700 metre run from the cabinet.
Well that's not much of an advert for adopting Plusnet fibre, but the ball is in Plusnets court (it has been for months actually!) and with a post on a user forum I'd like them to agree to investigate further and to do so quickly, starting with a port swap at DSLAM level because that's the least cumbersome first measure to look at.
Should that yield nothing then send in Ofcom to look for REIN issues, and if they find nothing, perhaps it's time to do a little digging and rewire the final 25 metres of the line with good quality cable into my home.
Oh yes, and all the time Plunet tecchie's take pleasure in attempting to baffle me with waffle, it would be appreciated if someone would take note that I'm an ethernet and IT engineer and don't need suckering. I install and look after dozens of computers, switches, and routing equipment, day in day out. It's mundane. It's a living. I only wish Plusnet would ensure they have better standards in looking after their customers because if my own performance were to match theirs - I'd be out of a job in no time.
So the message is... things ain't good enough... pull finger... sort out this calamity by addressing it properly!
I'm not holding my breath....

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Fibre performance almost back to ADSL2+ bandwidth

Took me a while to dig up this thread also featuring a Draytek: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118374.0.html
Using the Openreach modem won't make much immediate difference, the speed won't increase until after a long time and the DLM automatically increases the speed, or someone arranges for the DLM to be reset.
Qdos

Re: Fibre performance almost back to ADSL2+ bandwidth

Thanks for that, but it's not the modem because I can take in my 2850vn to work and load up the office specific configuration onto it ... substitute it for the works router (also a Draytek on 21CN fibre) ... and it performs beautifully.
The problem is specific to my home line installation. I have also had a Billion 7800 on the connection and had the same lousy performance. Drop outs and poor bandwidth also featured when the line was ADSL2+ 20CN, but were less noticeable as the maximum upstream BW was only around 15Mbps so a 20-30% 'wobble' was less noticeable and retraining to lower BW would seldom ever be triggered.
I've tried to attach a screenshot of the worst bottleneck experienced this afternoon, using a BW tester otherr than BT's own (because it's faster to grab a result quickly when imperitive) and you might gasp as the sort of sporadic performance it demonstrates that I'm getting.
jim:quote