cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre optic router delivery

shaunward

Fibre optic router delivery

Hi
I have ordered fibre optic and the engineer will be coming to my house to install the fibre optic this Thursday, however my fibre optic router has not yet been delivered. It said that it would be delivered within 2-3 days of the order being fulfilled, however I fulfilled the order 2 weeks ago.
Is there a reason for this?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Fibre optic router delivery

Hi Shaun and welcome to the forums.
The routers are usually dispatched in time to arrive on the day of installation. There have been recent reports of the engineer doing the installation when the postman turns up with it.
I'm sure someone from CRT (the Customer Relations Team) will pick this up tomorrow and check to see if one has been dispatched for you.
Cheers,
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi and welcome!
For some inexplicable reason Plusnet generally don't send out the router until the last possible moment so leave new customers anxiously wondering if it will turn up in time.  Mostly it does, but there's often reports here where it doesn't...
In my case, the router was sent out a day or two after ordering and I had it in plenty of time.  Given that there's generally at least a couple of weeks lead time between ordering and installation (for FTTC, shorter for ADSL) then you have to wonder why they don't send the router early as standard...  
Fingers crossed your arrives tomorrow!
shaunward

Thanks avatastic and pwatson for replying, I thought that the router would be here in a couple of days after the order was completed.
I was just wondering if the Plusnet staff will be able to tell me where the router is?
If it is coming tomorrow (which is when the engineer will be here) that's great, its just if it isn't I want to be able to organize for another router to be sent ASAP.
Also, if it will not be able to reach me by tomorrow, will I be able to use my old router to connect to the internet, or will I be able to access the internet in some other way?
Thanks.
picbits
Rising Star

BT will bring the Modem with them (different to the router). If the router doesn't turn up then you can hook your PC directly to the BT Modem via an Ethernet cable and set up a PPPoE connection.
picbits
Rising Star

shaunward

Thanks Dom, atleast now I can use the internet if I have to wait for the router to arrive  Smiley
Will the speed be the same for the modem compared to using a router?
Thanks
picbits
Rising Star

It should be the same (if not better).
tonycollinet
Grafter

I do find this "just in time" (sometimes falling back to "just too late") policy baffling. What is the supposed benefit?
avatastic
Grafter

I guess it's so they can hold a minimal stock of routers in the warehouse so when they do a router refresh there's not thousands of old routers they need to recycle/send out before the new ones start heading out.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
anniesboy
Rising Star

Sadly this is nothing new ,its been happening for quite some time.
Clearly it makes no sense as time is taken up with understandable queries like this one.
shaunward

UPDATE:
The engineer has just installed fibre optic and I am now using the PPPoE connection. Hopefully the router comes later today so that I can connect my laptop to the internet  Undecided
Thanks everyone for the help, your all great  Smiley
SilverArt
Dabbler

Cost of quality... or lack of it!... It cost Plusnet at least half an hour of telephone time yesterday due to the failure to send me a router. I'm hacked of as I've been messed about, (a non-technical customer would still be without their internet), countless other customers will be hacked of with protracted on-hold time when they telephone... etc.
Oh... and the router " should arrive in the next day or two!"  Sad
Art
SilverArt
Dabbler

Well... it was two days, it arrived this morning.
I'm pleased to report that the install went fine, just followed the instructions and it all worked.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

SilverArt,
Welcome to the forums.  You make the point well (sounds like a Crosby quote) - the cost of quality includes the cost of putting right something which should never have gone wrong in the first place.  Such costs are more likely to be greater than the cost of prevention.
Just in time has benefits, but they are completely lost when it ends up being just out of time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.