Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre newbie - Help appreciated!

GE90
Grafter

Fibre newbie - Help appreciated!

Hi All
Looking to change over to fibre (FTTC) - anyone know of any good deals for an existing customer of 10 years??!!
I have a Netgear D6300, and I am told that I can use the router part of this with the PlusNet supplied fibre modem. Can it be confirmed that this is possible, and also whether the engineer will set this up, or insist on only using the supplied router?
Many thanks, and any info would really be appreciated.
GE90
11 REPLIES 11
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Fibre newbie - Help appreciated!

Hello,
When BT install the fibre modem, they don't have to plug the Router in. I had mine setup, therefore he plugged me in. His job is to make sure the lights turn green on BTOR modem and do line checks.
It's down to you, what router you use. As long it supports Fibre  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have a Netgear D6300, and I am told that I can use the router part of this with the PlusNet supplied fibre modem
Yes it can. It has an Ethernet WAN port which you connect to the modem. AFAIK the engineer doesn't set up the router at all (except perhaps for BT Infinity managed installs!) they just setup and test to the modem. So you will have to setup the 6300 yourself. I would guess that the setup wizard may well detect the WAN connection and request you PlusNet username/password. Failing that you would need configure it manually for a PPPoE connection via the WAN port.
Hope that helps
Edit: just looked at the manual. Assuming you are already using the 6300 on a PlsuNet ADSL connection, then you need to change the Basic Internet connection from PPPoA to PPPoE (pages 30/31), leave everything else the same on those pages.
If it doesnt  auto detect the WAN port then you can force it from the WAN setup (see page 50) by selecting 'must use Ethernet WAN'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GE90
Grafter

Well, thanks very much to you both for your replies.
Yes I am with Plusnet on ADSL. I am getting about 5MB/s at the moment, and find it strugles with HD iPlayer etc. However, I did read that this should be fast enough...?
I am being offered unlimited 76MB sevice for £15.99 per month, for 18 months - sound OK?
Again, thanks for your time ,GE90
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is just about the same overall cost as the current offer so not bad
GE90
Grafter

But not great then if similar to the current offer......? Thanks
dick:quote
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Well if you think that you can get a better deal elsewhere then move suppliers. However, as most of us are paying £19.99 a month I reckon you've got a good deal.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: GE90
I am being offered unlimited 76MB sevice for £15.99 per month, for 18 months - sound OK?

Sounds very good, you've done well to get that as an existing customer rather than a new one.
GE90
Grafter

Thanks, strange that existing customers aren't offered deals to stay... Thanks for everyones input, GE90
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You have been offered a deal - it's less than I'm paying.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

£72 less than me over 18 months.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
GE90
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your input.
Order submitted, installation in a few weeks.
Thanks again, GE90