Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre line fault - question ID #90614354

richardc1983
Grafter

Fibre line fault - question ID #90614354

Good afternoon
I've had a very unreliable connection since having Fibre installed last Tuesday, and noticed the latency was higher on the connection.  I saw an OpenReach van outside this morning who was dealing with a telephone line fault at a neighbours. There was also a van here the other day with another neighbour who had a like fault. The engineer advised that they were attending another call in the area because of a line fault and they have confirmed that there is an issue 150 metres away on the run back to the cabinet and that I am  most likely affected by this, however they will not look at an issue unless it is raised through my service provider which I have done this afternoon who have also confirmed that something does not look right so have raised it further.  Is there any further news on this?

I am being interleaved quite heavily and that your sync rate does keep dropping further (currently at 50Mb) and continues to do so at each re-sync even though I have an attainable rate of approx. 72mb and the errors on the line are just constantly counting up and up. I have included the fault reference in the subject field above. Attached is the BT Wholesale statistics.
Thank you
Richard.
31 REPLIES 31
richardc1983
Grafter

Re: Fibre line fault - question ID #90614354

Anyone? Please
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Do you have any issues with your phone line - hissing/crackling/static?
You've done the right thing to raise a fault with Plusnet. They will need to check the line for faults.
richardc1983
Grafter

Not that I am aware of... It seems quiet. Then again I use cordless.
AndyH
Grafter

If you do 17070 and the Quiet Line Test, this will remove the dial tone so you can hear better.
richardc1983
Grafter

Ok done that... I wouldn't say it's silent but it's not noisy. There is perhaps some background noise.
richardc1983
Grafter

Now sync'd at 41Mb and getting a download speed of 38Mb. Not good as this is now below the actual 40M/b service you offer.
AndyH
Grafter

Your actual speeds will always be below the sync speed due to overheads - it's why they sell it as up to 38Mbps and up to 76Mbps (even though the sync speeds can be 40Mbps and 80Mbps).
richardc1983
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Your actual speeds will always be below the sync speed due to overheads - it's why they sell it as up to 38Mbps and up to 76Mbps (even though the sync speeds can be 40Mbps and 80Mbps).

But when I am paying for a 76M/b service I expect to get somewhere near there. Not just over the 38M/b service.
Either way there is a fault and it needs rectifying. BT have dragged their heels enough. The openreach guys said yesterday that all they do is swap lines onto spare lines and they are all used up now. The said proper maintenance of the main line to the cabinet needs to be done.
AndyH
Grafter

I was referring to the up to 38Mbps and 76Mbps products though.
In your case, you need Plusnet to raise it with BT Wholesale who will more than likely send out and engineer. Once the line issue is fixed, they will reset the DLM and your line will retrain at its maximum speed.
richardc1983
Grafter

Just chased over the phone with PN:
The job has been passed back to the suppliers as the suppliers have done some remote work to it to try and fix it. The operative said Dlm remote changes but this hasn't fixed it. 420 errors showing up and throughput speed will be a lot less...The changes put in place will not fix it and he said he needs to get an engineer and it has been passed back to them. (I'm assuming OpenReach)
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Richardc93
I'm sorry to see what's going on with your connection.
As per ticket 90614354 , we're just waiting on booking this engineer for you.
We'll get this sorted as quickly as we can. If you have anything else to ask, give us a shout.
richardc1983
Grafter

Quote from: Jack
Hi Richardc93
I'm sorry to see what's going on with your connection.
As per ticket 90614354 , we're just waiting on booking this engineer for you.
We'll get this sorted as quickly as we can. If you have anything else to ask, give us a shout.

Thank you Jack. If you could keep an eye on it as nothing further had been done with it until I rang and chased it again this morning. I am in all day today if they wanted to send someone today.
richardc1983
Grafter

Seem to be having more problems. Engineer seemed to have fixed the issues and all was running fine and was sync'd at 70mb until yesterday...
My modem was constantly re-syncing yesterday (Friday 29/08), I was told by your call center this was due to the nationwide fibre broadband faults. My concern was that the engineer who attended told me not to turn off the modem for 10 days as he had performed a DLM reset due to "fixing" the fault and the line would now find its optimum connection speed. My concerns were correct because of the nationwide fault yesterday and constant disconnect and re-connections, last night it sync'd at 60mb now it has sync'd again at some point this morning and we are now syn'd at 66 sync and getting interleaved. My attainable rate is 76 and has never been so high.
Needless to say my first experiences of Plusnet have not been very good. I seem to be constantly chasing this and it is affecting my enjoyment of the service as if I am streaming or downloading it is either re-syncing or dropping out.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi richardc1983,
I'm sorry that the outages came at such a crucial point in the fixing of your fault. Thankfully it seems that the speed hasn't dropped as much as before and it seems that you have re-sync'd a few times and the speeds have come back up so the DLM should be in the process of returning you back to the speeds you were seeing previously although this can take a little time.
Have you seen any further change since flagging this up again on Sunday?