cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre just installed - speed limit confusion

ChromeHorn

Fibre just installed - speed limit confusion

I've had my fibre service successfully installed a few hours ago, but the engineer mentioned something that's got me confused and I hope someone can straighten me out.
Towards the end of the install he tells me that I've got 40Mb download and 10Mb upload speeds. I mention that the online checker was claiming 50.5Mb when I signed up (a figure I'm sure he mumbled earlier) and he tells me that as it's a "40/10" it won't go any faster. So I ask how fast my line could go and I'm told 45Mb (I forgot to ask about upload).
Here's where I get confused. I signed up for the "up to 76Mb" unlimited service, but if what the engineer says is true and I've got a hard limit of 40Mb, even if my line was capable of 60Mb I'd never be able to get it. I know 5Mb difference isn't a lot in the big scheme of things, but it'll bug me to know that there's potentially some extra speed available that I can't use. I'll also be a bit miffed over the "up to 76Mb" claims if the reality is I'm limited to 40 irrespective of what my line is actually capable of.
Is what he told me likely to be true? Could something have gone wrong during the install that's caused this limit? Will it sort itself out after a few days? Is this a fault I need to log? So many questions I know, but if some kind soul out there can help clear my confusion up I'd certainly appreciate it.  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre just installed - speed limit confusion

Should be a simple answer, some customers were incorrectly put on 40/10 instead of 80/20.
This should be picked up and corrected, normally takes a day or so to apply.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi ChromeHorn,
Welcome to our community forum Smiley
I've placed a modify order to move you over to the correct product, this will complete on Monday.
Let me know on Monday how your speeds are.
Chris
ChromeHorn

dvorak, Chris, thank you for your replies. I do believe I understand what's gone on now.
I haven't done any speed tests yet as I was told that things would be settling down for 10 days, but I shall certainly post back with results on Monday.
Thanks again for your help.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, if on Monday there is for whatever reason no increase let me know and I'll chase that up, but I'm very hopeful that won't be the case  Wink
Oates

Hi
This also appears to have happened to me - Fibre Unlimited connected this morning, line speed listed as max 40Mbps. Could you or someone from Plusnet take a look?
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Oates,
Firstly a nice warm welcome to the community forum.
I have placed a modify order to move you over to the correct product, this does take one working day to complete so you'll see the increase on Monday.
Let me know that this has gone OK for you or if there's anything else you need.
Chris
Oates

Thanks for the swift response - will check situation on Monday.
Oates

Hi
No improvement in my speed - looks like I'm still on 40/10. Can you check the situation your end please? Thanks
ChromeHorn

I'm a day late but I've just done the speed test. I've uploaded a screenshot of the results here. The test was performed with all equipment disconnected from the network barring the testing PC, which is on a wired connection.
If my link doesn't work, the test showed that the maximum achievable speeds are 45.21Mbps down, 20Mbps up. The actual measured speeds are 22.14Mbps down, 8.23Mbps up.
I haven't done one of these before so bear with me if I've misinterpreted the results. As the maximum achievable speeds are shown as 45/20 I'm guessing that the change in product has happened as promised. The 22Mb achieved during the test seems a bit disappointing though, but I understand I'm still in the settling down period so I'll do another test next week and see what's what.
Thanks for your assistance so far Chris.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, looks like your account just needed updating with the new product. I've done that for you, hope the speeds have improved now? The order has definitely completed.